Reefer 170

Feldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am fairly new to saltwater only recently started my 70 gallon tank back in December. I already purchased another tank and will be downsizing to the Red Sea Reefer 170 but this is just so I can get a bigger DT lol. This hobby is addicting. This thread will follow my Reefer 170 build. I will be keeping an eye out for a good deal on a reefer 650/750 after I get my 170 settled.

Current Equipment
Red Sea Reefer 170
Hydra 26 HD
2 x MP-10 WQD
Jecod variable sump pump
Aquatop 200W heater
Artica 1/10 HP Chiller
Reef Octopus skimmer... not sure what model. Anyone know?
Pre-order of ClearView Pisces EXO Lid

Are 2 MP-10's too much for my tank?

I cleaned up a lot of the wiring tonight. I've had live rock curing for about 4 weeks now and am planing on getting the tank wet in the next few days. I will keep you all posted!

IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system looks great so far

And welcome to R2R as well, it’s great to have you with!

OP
OP
F

Feldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 40lbs of Nature's Ocean live sand today. I prefer a pretty shallow sand bed and probably will only be using about 25-30lbs of it.

IMG_7479.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of us.gif

Welcome to R2R! I have a 170 and run 2 gyre 230's, so I think that 2 mp10's should be just fine. Looking forward to seeing more of your build.

OP
OP
F

Feldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquascape I think is going to be a challenge in the smaller tank. I have to make room for my 100 head Duncan I impulsively bought last week.

IMG_7390 (1).JPG

OP
OP
F

Feldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my coral and fish over yesterday and they all love the new light. Does anyone have any idea what the white bubbly coral is? I got a few zoas and that bubbly coral with the tank.

IMG_7573.JPG

Image-1.jpg

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lookss great. I'm currently looking for an upgraded sump for mine but the inner stand dimensions are so tight that it's hard to find any. do you plan on keeping your stock sump or will you upgrade?

OP
OP
F

Feldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lookss great. I'm currently looking for an upgraded sump for mine but the inner stand dimensions are so tight that it's hard to find any. do you plan on keeping your stock sump or will you upgrade?

At this point I am happy with the sump. I don't have much to compare too this is only my second tank that has a sump and it's a huge upgrade from my last. Why are you looking to upgrade?

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I am happy with the sump. I don't have much to compare too this is only my second tank that has a sump and it's a huge upgrade from my last. Why are you looking to upgrade?

I want an adjustable water level my C5 recommends 9" - 9.5"water level and a separate compartments for the skimmer and a refugium.

OP
OP
F

Feldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want an adjustable water level my C5 recommends 9" - 9.5"water level and a separate compartments for the skimmer and a refugium.

A refugium would be a nice addition... Today I plumbed in a two little fishes reactor. I was originally going to stick it in the back left outside of the sump but that would have left me with very few options when I add dosing containers. Having the reactor in the front will make it really easy to service.

It's been starting to get hot in Florida and the sun bakes my office. I was trying to avoid having to hook up a chiller but even with leaving my house at 76 degrees while I am out for the day my tank is still spiking to 80. Instead of adding an additional pump to the sump I'm looking at getting a vectra S1 and building a manifold for the reactor and chiller.

IMG_7774.JPG

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refugium would be a nice addition... Today I plumbed in a two little fishes reactor. I was originally going to stick it in the back left outside of the sump but that would have left me with very few options when I add dosing containers. Having the reactor in the front will make it really easy to service.

It's been starting to get hot in Florida and the sun bakes my office. I was trying to avoid having to hook up a chiller but even with leaving my house at 76 degrees while I am out for the day my tank is still spiking to 80. Instead of adding an additional pump to the sump I'm looking at getting a vectra S1 and building a manifold for the reactor and chiller.

IMG_7774.JPG

Looks nice. Same here in Arizona. I keep my place at 78 and the tank is reaching 82 during the day.

OP
OP
F

Feldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been getting hotter and hotter in south Florida. I ended up doing a temporary plumbing job for my chiller after a quick Home Depot trip.

I found a good deal on a Tunze Osmilator 3155 so now my plan is to convert the ATO over to a Refugium (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...eefer-xl-425-build.358990/page-5#post-4668633) but that project will be a little bit down the line. With all of the accessories and I might still add more I have been sketching out a manifold taking some ideas from https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/review-plumbing-for-red-sea-reefer-170.457779/ but increasing the pipe size. Any recommendations for a pump? I'm thinking the Vectra S2 with 1400 gph should be enough to power everything. I could up it to the M2 2000gph and run it at a lower speed. I'll be dealing with a loud 950gph Danner Magdrive I had laying around to power my chiller until I find a pump and build this manifold. That's some motivation to not be lazy.

IMG_7939.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back