OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through my data and realized I keep my Alk around 11 and my pH at 9.8. I don't know why I get those two confused so often.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we got, first status check on the All-For-Reef. Calcium is at 400, and Alk 10.5. I'm going to raise the dose by a factor of x2, but it is more to do with just using increases of 5mL. I expect the 10mL(total) to increase the Calcium by about 10 maybe even hit 415. I found the first time there was tipping point that once you reached it the number jumped a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been putting together stocking list for corals and really want to get a large variety of sticks. Millepora really have my interest this go around. I tell you what though, Montipora still have my heart. It is hard not to order ton of Montipora for the tank and just be happy. There seems to be so many new color morphs as of late and OH! they are beautiful. Still, that drive to learn more and experience more guides me to leave Montiporas behind for now but oh do I love them.

I currently have 2 orders ready to go and I don't know which one to pull the trigger on. One order is 3 fish, the main one being the Orange spotted Mandarin. The other order is 6-8 sticks+LPS(another duncan lol)

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Result:
Alk 11.7
Cal 420

All-for-Reef is going to stay are this point until I put a few more SPS in the tank. I do like to run the tank at a higher Cal level but save pennies here and there sorta thing.

LPS corals are finally popping back to life. Snapped a few shots during feeding.

PXL_20220708_194251911.jpg

PXL_20220708_194258066.MP.jpg

PXL_20220708_194304847.jpg

PXL_20220708_194734788.jpg

PXL_20220708_194929916.jpg

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish is doing great. Had a few bumps and scratches from transport but everything seems to be heeling up nicely. Was a bit finicky in the beginning but has turned into a pig.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It baffles my mind to think of what is happening on with the notion of growing more coral rather than rebuilding a skeleton. Still, this is an amazing shot to me.
PXL_20220726_230822652.MP.jpg

Who doesn't love some meteor shower cyphastrea.

PXL_20220726_230852214.MP.jpg

When a tank crash happens it makes you question your processes. Question if you have what it takes to keep this creatures thriving. It warms my heart to see things bounce back. Very glad I didn't toss this build thread and start a new one. So much to learn as a whole.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
traded some zoas for a nice chunk of Hollywood Stunner
PXL_20220729_223929740.MP.jpg

The tank it comes from is a softie tank with a lot lower PAR than mine. It is sitting in about ~125 right now.
PXL_20220729_224405158.MP.jpg

Placed it in an area that has medium not chaotic flow. pretty much a strong tidal flow every 45 seconds. It has a rock all for itself. Can't wait to see it color up a bit more. The difference in pH and Alk between our two tanks is a big swing. Gave it a good 2 hour acclimation. Guy said he never checks his Alk. lol

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General question to all those who follow along with this build. What length do you set your acclimation period to? I have mine set at 50 days and I can't seem to get out of acclimation mode because I keep adding new corals every 4-6 weeks. is 30 days enough?

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LET ME TELL YA WHAT!

This duncan is beyond my wildest dreams. This is another of the corals from Corals.com.

AwesomeDuncan.jpg

I'm serious, between my large Duncan colony and this one growing into a large colony they may be my favorite type of corals(for the next few months)
PXL_20220812_235400503.MP.jpg

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General question to all those who follow along with this build. What length do you set your acclimation period to? I have mine set at 50 days and I can't seem to get out of acclimation mode because I keep adding new corals every 4-6 weeks. is 30 days enough?
I never use the acclimation mode. I don’t see why people need to. that way you will always keep having inconsistent lightning conditions.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use the acclimation mode. I don’t see why people need to. that way you will always keep having inconsistent lightning conditions.
That is my thoughts. I think having a acclimation mode is good, but why is it set standard to 60 days? I really would think that 14 days is enough time to slowly ramp up from say 100 PAR to 250 PAR. It isn't like the software is ramping it up slowly over the course of the day. It is just another tick in percentage of total power per day.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my thoughts. I think having a acclimation mode is good, but why is it set standard to 60 days? I really would think that 14 days is enough time to slowly ramp up from say 100 PAR to 250 PAR. It isn't like the software is ramping it up slowly over the course of the day. It is just another tick in percentage of total power per day.
I have a better method that many people use mainly for sps. Place all your new frags on the substrate which ultimately would be the less par region. Then gradually raise them (via a frag rack or throughout your rock work). I honestly never light acclimated any of my corals, sps or LPs and had no problems. By using the light acclimation mode you are bothering your established corals for let’s say 4 or 5 new frags.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I feel like I did something kind of stupid. I changed too many elements in my tank at one time and now have no way of monitoring what is causing what. I removed Acclimation period. I started dosing Spirulina. I started dosing AcroPower. I adjusted Refugium photo period from 12 to 18 hours. I did all this within a weeks time. It isn't the end of the world but now I can't give recommendations on the two nutrient types being added. Oh well.

The reason it clicked in my head is that the two acropora have began coloring up quickly and putting on good growth.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like time-lapse footage. I have been concerned with the inflation of my hammer coral. I have had it pushing 1 month now and it never really reaches up into the water column like I would expect. Looks droopy to me. I bought a new tripod I wanted to test out so I figured I would give everything a shakedown. Turns out the hermits wanted a battle royale in the same spot as my camera was looking. Hope you guys/gals enjoy. Also, please chime in on the hammer's health.

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are so darn hard to capture on camera. This is one shot of a set of around 20 pics. I believe that this lil fishy is a female and an absolute pig. She gets between 4-10 brine shrimp 3-4 times a day.

Let me add that this is not a sensor error or weird LED effect on the fish. This is the actually coloration. She is getting ready for bed and become black and white striped.
PXL_20220823_161521544.MP.jpg

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about running the tank without a skimmer for about 6 months. Full blown refugium in its place. I have never operated with a mud refugium and would like to give it a shot. Does anyone have insight on that type of set up?

OP
OP
design.maddie

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[Mid day for light cycle]
pH 8.0
NO3 0
Phos 0
dKH 12.2
Cal 440
Mg 1440

Bottomed out again. I think I might start dosing NP-Bacto-Balance again. I will have to order another dosing pump.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back