Reefer 250 livestock

Tyler Venemore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RedSea reefer 250 has been up and running for about 18 months now and I’ve never really filled it with many fish. I had a few Anthias but I was unsuccessful with them, so now I’m only left with a pair of clowns, a yellow tang and a regal tang leaving me with no more little fish to admire. The tank is looking pretty empty with just two larger fish and the clowns that just hang in the corner most of the time.

My plan is to evict the regal as she is a pain in the a** (eats zoas and some LPS) which then will hopefully allow me to bring in some new fish.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Here is what I’ve already come up with, if anyone has experience keeping any of these species together, any knowledge would be appreciated.

Royal gramma
Midas blenny
Longnose hawkfish
McCosker’s flasher wrasse

Maybe even a tommini tang?

Current fish:
X2 clownfish
Regal tang
Yellow tang

Cheers

IMG_5096.jpeg

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the reefer 250 is a 55 gallon display?

I would stick with only one smaller tang in that, either the yellow or trade him in for a tomini (personally I would keep the yellow).

I would definitely get rid of the regal, it will out grow the tank very quickly and get territorial.

A blenny or a hawk fish would be fine, they may fight over areas in the scape though. Could also do a goby, like a watchman or a group of fire fish. A wrasse would be fine in there too, could do a flasher or a fairy.

To add some more movement you could look at chromis - keep them in odd numbered groups. Could try antias again as well, one male and 2 females. I would suggest an auto feeder as these fish are very active and need to be fed a couple times a day.

If the possibility of coral nipping doesn't bother you, could also do a dwarf angle like a coral beauty or a flame.

Could also look at dotty backs as well as basselets. Only keep one if you plan on these.

OP
OP
Tyler Venemore

Tyler Venemore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the reefer 250 is a 55 gallon display?

I would stick with only one smaller tang in that, either the yellow or trade him in for a tomini (personally I would keep the yellow).

I would definitely get rid of the regal, it will out grow the tank very quickly and get territorial.

A blenny or a hawk fish would be fine, they may fight over areas in the scape though. Could also do a goby, like a watchman or a group of fire fish. A wrasse would be fine in there too, could do a flasher or a fairy.

To add some more movement you could look at chromis - keep them in odd numbered groups. Could try antias again as well, one male and 2 females. I would suggest an auto feeder as these fish are very active and need to be fed a couple times a day.

If the possibility of coral nipping doesn't bother you, could also do a dwarf angle like a coral beauty or a flame.

Could also look at dotty backs as well as basselets. Only keep one if you plan on these.
Thank you, yes I’ll be sticking with the yellow tang. Nothing could make me get rid of him.

I’m trying to stay away from angels, beautiful fish but I love my zoas and the regal has already devoured most of them. For some reason she’s left the utter chaos ones alone.

I’ve also had a bicolour dottyback before and he was a PITA, so I’m kind of put off them.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since tangs need a large tank, (40g with rock) you should be fine, add a bunch more to your cloudy water.

OP
OP
Tyler Venemore

Tyler Venemore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since tangs need a large tank, (40g with rock) you should be fine, add a bunch more to your cloudy water.
My water was only cloudy due to just finishing a water change. It is usually crystal clear. Thanks for your input
IMG_3912.jpeg
IMG_4276.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back