Reefer 250 - My First Reef

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I am starting up a new tank (53 gallons display and 12 gallons of sump/overflow), and I would like to know your opinions on my stocking list:

- Yellow-eyed kole tang
- Ocellaris clowns (x2)
- Six-line wrasse
- Yellow watchman goby
- Clown goby
- Cleaner shrimp
- Randall's pistol shrimp (alpheus randelli)
- Nassarius snails (x4)
- Trochus snails (x4)

I do not want to have a super heavy bio load... so does this look alright?

Thanks all!

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll be totally fine. Have you ever kept a goby shrimp pair? I myself had a Randall's goby and Tiger Pistol shrimp and they ruined my scape...
You can definitely add more fish and inverts too, you'll just have to add them over time.
Thanks Evan! My rocks are pretty sturdy I do not think they will be able to have things move around or fall.

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh- I loved the goby- pistol Shrimp pair when I had one years ago. Found myself just watching that like I was a kid watching Bob the builder. Good luck and sure they will do fine for you as they were very low maintenance and only stirred one area that was outside their burrow so for me no issues.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Evan! My rocks are pretty sturdy I do not think they will be able to have things move around or fall.
I thought the same thing... until it collapsed XD. Make sure your rocks are on the bottom of the tank and not just on the top of the sand!!! Good luck :)

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video update of my tank and the aquascape. I am two weeks into the cycle and will be adding a couple of clowns within the next two weeks if all goes well. Tried doing a negative space aquascape (NSA), but I am hoping that the top right portion gets enough light for corals (perhaps some low light corals at least like blastomussa). I am thinking of making this an LPS dominated tank with a nice zoa garden at the bottom of the middle island, and perhaps more spas in a couple of other areas. As this is my very first aquarium , what do you guys think about the aquascape? 3B4B8F29-D484-43C7-BAF3-90CC680C6E75.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7553.MOV
    56.2 MB

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video update of my tank and the aquascape. I am two weeks into the cycle and will be adding a couple of clowns within the next two weeks if all goes well. Tried doing a negative space aquascape (NSA), but I am hoping that the top right portion gets enough light for corals (perhaps some low light corals at least like blastomussa). I am thinking of making this an LPS dominated tank with a nice zoa garden at the bottom of the middle island, and perhaps more spas in a couple of other areas. As this is my very first aquarium , what do you guys think about the aquascape? 3B4B8F29-D484-43C7-BAF3-90CC680C6E75.jpeg
I love it!!!! I don’t see many caves, but I can’t see the back of the tank. Make sure there’s room for fish to hide!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I am starting up a new tank (53 gallons display and 12 gallons of sump/overflow), and I would like to know your opinions on my stocking list:

- Yellow-eyed kole tang
- Ocellaris clowns (x2)
- Six-line wrasse
- Yellow watchman goby
- Clown goby
- Cleaner shrimp
- Randall's pistol shrimp (alpheus randelli)
- Nassarius snails (x4)
- Trochus snails (x4)

I do not want to have a super heavy bio load... so does this look alright?

Thanks all!
I think the stocking level is totally fine, you could probably add a couple more small fish even. Personally, I steered away from a six-line because lots of people say they get aggressive when older and they are very difficult to catch. I ended up getting a Fairy wrasse and yellow coris wrasse instead and they're fantastic. I'd suggest looking at other more peaceful/colourful wrasses as options - there's tons!

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the stocking level is totally fine, you could probably add a couple more small fish even. Personally, I steered away from a six-line because lots of people say they get aggressive when older and they are very difficult to catch. I ended up getting a Fairy wrasse and yellow coris wrasse instead and they're fantastic. I'd suggest looking at other more peaceful/colourful wrasses as options - there's tons!
Yeah, I have heard that as well. Ok cool thanks Mac!

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the stocking level is totally fine, you could probably add a couple more small fish even. Personally, I steered away from a six-line because lots of people say they get aggressive when older and they are very difficult to catch. I ended up getting a Fairy wrasse and yellow coris wrasse instead and they're fantastic. I'd suggest looking at other more peaceful/colourful wrasses as options - there's tonsi thought the
I thought the six line wrasse was only problematic towards other wrasses. If I do not plan on having other wrasses, would it be ok? I specifically chose this fish because I know specimens of the halicheores family are a great utilitarian fish to control unwanted pests in the system. I was under the impression that the yellow chorus wrasse didn’t provide the same benefit.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Six lines are probably the single best worm eater out there, but there are much nicer pest eating wrasses out there (like the yellow coris wrasse mentioned above). I believe most Halichoeres wrasses are good choices for pest control. If you like living on the edge, you could look into the Naoko Wrasse. It's probably the most aggressive fairy wrasse, but don't let that turn you away. With personal experience of keeping this fish, I can say it is NOT mean. It is not as mean as a six-line (from personal experience). I added it as the last fish in my aquarium, and there is no aggression whatsoever. They are not described as a worm-eating fish, but mine has gone ham on them in my tank. Do not plan on getting one if you are into small inverts (sexy shrimp, baby cleaner or peppermint shrimp, etc...)

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hearing great things about Pseudocheilinops ataenia (pink-streaked wrasse) as an alternative to the much more aggressive six line wrasse. I hear it is an effective coral pest eater, like the six line, but is much more peaceful. Can anyone attest to this? Thanks again!

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hearing great things about Pseudocheilinops ataenia (pink-streaked wrasse) as an alternative to the much more aggressive six line wrasse. I hear it is an effective coral pest eater, like the six line, but is much more peaceful. Can anyone attest to this? Thanks again!
I've heard the same thing, but I've never kept one.

Ocean_dreamer89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That aquascape is amazing!!! You did a great job trying to get a NSA. Did it take you very long to learn how to and complete it?

OP
OP
ItalCanadaReefer

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ItalCanadaReefer Reefer 250 owner here too. You will grow to love this tank. Take it slow and great things will come of it. Following. See my build thread.
Thank you sir!! Yes I’m already loving it. Will post an update shortly. Following your build thanks!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back