Reefer 250 Sump. Cutting things out.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever cut the glass section out of the Reefer sump that holds the filter socks? I want to make room for a roller type filter. And this worthless section is in the way. It doesn't appear to be structural in any way other than to hold socks together.

-Tom

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I altered the baffles in a 170 sump and removed the filter sock holder. It's not structural, go for it.
John

Got a pic? I ordered a clay cutter with a wire to remove the silicone, and have plenty of exactos. How did you revmove yours?

-Tom

johnthehermit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry no pics Tom. It sounds like the tools you have will do the job. I cut off any silicone beads on the sides on the panel I was removing and worked a fine bladed knife down the joint carefully. The cheese wire sounds like a good idea. I found the most awkward part to remove was the plastic filter sock supports and the glass supports underneath that but with care and patience it comes out. Obviously, take your time and don't force anything. I didn't keep the reefer 170, ended up going for a larger custom tank with a large sump. I've removed and re-fitted baffles on that sump as well to alter the layout and incorporate a refugium with MM and caulerpa.
John

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back