Reefer170 gate valve

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The RS valve on my 250 and 900 work great.
I have 2 redsea reefers also - no problem with the valve. Except I do take it apart and clean it (once now in 8 years or so) when a snail got into it and it was difficult to adjust. I would guess that could happen with any valve

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having problems with yours, the trick is to adjust it slowly and wait a few minutes in-between adjustments.
Turning it clockwise raises the level in the over flow box.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I can clean it, adjust it and it’s working great. Then for some reason it will suddenly overflow and be extremely noisy (the water pouring down the overflow). Their can happen over a period of days so there’s nothing obvious causing it - it will be great for days then go ape. My LFS says they have the same issue in their 170. There seems to be a lot of this problem talked about online.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to contact Redsea. Turns out the Reefer170 requires a pump flow of 2,000lph - must have missed that in the instructions! My pump does 4,000lph and when the guy set it up he set it at maximum flow rate.
so I’ve reduced my flow rate and now appear to have consistency - I wonder whether others who have had this problem were aware of the recommended flow rates?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back