ReeferMadness80G Frag Tank

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! It’s absolutely plumbed in, with all the upkeep on this one I doubt I’ll have another that’s not on this system.

Antics: Thank you for the kind words but,you don’t have coral!?
Yeah... its my shameful dark secret but due to my quarantine procedure with fish I wont add coral or snails, etc to my tank without a fallow quarantine. The two previous times I set up such a system failed due to one losing power (just the quarantine) while I was out of town and the other crashed when I got really lax about checking my RODI filters after 18 months without changing. :eek:

So yeah. Long story short, my tank is filled with a bunch of healthy fish for the past two years... and no snails or coral. LOL :p

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is quite a collection you got going there. Really enjoyed reading through your thread this morning. Your photo skills have really come along way since your first posts.

Thanks Adam! Believe it or not it’s all iPhone 7, what really helped was the Aquariclip and TruVu Lenses. I take about a thousand pictures now and post nothing less than my best! Thank you again for taking the time to read along!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... its my shameful dark secret but due to my quarantine procedure with fish I wont add coral or snails, etc to my tank without a fallow quarantine. The two previous times I set up such a system failed due to one losing power (just the quarantine) while I was out of town and the other crashed when I got really lax about checking my RODI filters after 18 months without changing. :eek:

So yeah. Long story short, my tank is filled with a bunch of healthy fish for the past two years... and no snails or coral. LOL :p

Wow! I understand how crashing etc can make you not wanna restart! I hope you add some soon, gotta get back on that horse!!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferMadness80G
Alk 7 to 8 spikes sometimes
Cal 400 +
Mag 1350
Po4- 0.03
No3 a little bit above 0

Define “spikes” in your alk. Bc that really needs to be stable. When we talk about keeping sps we are down to the hundredths when it comes to alkalinity. With little to no nutrients (No3) keep your Alk around 8, but honestly you should never have 0 No3. Shoot for 5ppm don’t be afraid to even get to 10ppm. You didn’t mention temperature but that also needs to be stable as well, not like 77-80 more like (77.6-78.5), don’t quote those numbers because everyone’s tanks different but keep your range tight. Flow is also huge, you really can’t have enough flow when it comes to sps, the more the better but never directly at the coral. Lighting!? Rent a par meter and try to get ranges of 250 all the way up to 500, find out when you buy a piece what lighting it prefers as far as par goes. Learn to be proactive instead of reactive, bc reacting to an sps tank can be catastrophic sometimes. Small changes and lots of time. If one thing changes too quick you throw off the entire balance (stability) of the system. When you throw all those things together in a mature established tank 1.5+ years, and you find YOUR parameters that work best for YOUR tank, (ALK CAL MAG TEMP LIGHT FLOW) and you can keep them stable with no spikes and little swings then you should have no problem keeping SPS.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a8f25b9c8f43b4375ce31492de51fb77.jpg
24f934c31b80cb9d11257c80950d2916.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back