Reefers may over-rely on personal experience to accept or reject truth

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I know that's a provocative title, but hear me out.

From many, many discussions I have had with reefers over the past 25 years, it is clear to me that many folks easily accept ideas that mesh with their experience, and strongly reject those that do not.

Unfortunately, this reliance on personal experience can blind people to real facts.

Suppose I made this claim:

Product Y can kill corals. It killed my XXX coral.​

And suppose that you used that same product with no issue with the same coral. In fact, you know of six other reefers who used it and who did not experience that problem with the same coral.

What is your most likely thought on reading my claim? Be honest....
That it doesn't kill corals and the coral died for some other reason?
That I am making it up, perhaps because I sell a competing product?
That maybe I dosed it wrong? (too much, wrong time of day, not enough mixing, whatever)
That the bottle I got might have been contaminated, especially if I used a DIY version?
That the coral was probably already stressed and easier to kill than usual?
etc.
Now suppose I ask exactly the same form of question with the same results and your same experiences, would you respond the same way?

Smoking cigarettes can kill people. My sister died from lung cancer due to smoking.

But you smoke and are fine. In fact, everyone in your family smokes and is fine.
Do you likely conclude any of these things from your experiences?
That smoking doesn't cause lung cancer and my sister likely died for some other reason?
That I am making it up, perhaps because I sell cigarettes?
That maybe she smoked it wrong?
That the cigarettes she used might have been contaminated, especially if she rolled her own?
That she was probably already stressed and easier to kill than usual?
etc.
So what can one do with a range of results from different reefers that seem at odds with each other?

My contention is that one should, if possible:

1. Look to see if the claim that Product Y kills a coral is consistent with generally accepted scientific facts. If it is (say, it contains possible known toxins like nickel), I might be more likely to look into why there is a divergence of results. In a reef tank, it is obvious what many of these differences are, ranging from testing errors to different husbandry techniques to incorrectly identified species. Some of the important differences may be unknown at the time. For example, maybe Product Y binds to aluminum oxide phosphate binders, so tanks using this type of binder will never have an issue with it?

2. If the claim that Product Y kills a coral seems inconsistent with accepted scientific fact (say, it is diced chunks of shrimp), I might spend more time trying to determine why the death happened in the one tank more than why it didn't happen in others. Maybe the product was contaminated with a pathogenic bacteria?

Anyway, just food for thought, with a hope that folks might think about ways that your own experiences may not necessarily define the underlying "truth".

Happy Reefing. :)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS guy says he doesn't use copper to treat new fish or even fish with Ich or Velvet "because in his experience it kills fish." Hmmm . . .

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, always great to see someone bring a little constructive skepticism to the conversation. Should be a hot topic.

I have so much to learn and so many questions, for me this is a huge part of my enjoyment from the hobby. Unfortunately the answers I receive are sometimes not quite as constructive as the question. "I have used xxx and would never use anything else" or "I have been in the hobby for xxx years"( how dare you question my statement).

I have a limited budget and even more limited experience or knowledge with regards Reefing. For these reasons I have to be very careful in making choices with reference to certain methods or products. One of the things within this hobby that I find very frustrating is the lack of detailed information supplied by some manufacturers or suppliers. I believe that any product that is used with regards to live animals should have at least a comprehensive list of ingredients. and any relevant warnings on there use.

I have come across numerous products within the hobby that spend large amounts of space celebrating the virtues of their product but very little if any, information on its actual contents. Now I understand that protecting ones economic viability due to Research and development costs, can be prohibitive in releasing certain sensitive information. But when dealing with sensitive creatures I beleive much more effort should be shown in informing any potential users of the core ingredients.

I have come across two products very widely used within the hobby that appear to have no , or incomplete lists of their ingredients. The manufacturer of one of these products often states that a certain ingredient of a particular nature is not present in their product . Due to the difference in legislation between particular countries. It was reported that after further investigation by a governing body, this product did appear to have that very said ingredient. In fact it was suggested that it was the most active ingredient in the product.

Another well known manufacturer again omits a list of ingredients for their product, but I suspect for very different reasons. Once again further investigation suggested this particular product was almost identical to a substance readily available to the general public at a fraction of the cost. Maybe this example is a little more forgiving. But I still believe that all pet products should carry a comprehensive list of active ingredients.

I like many others can only make informed decisions and deductions with regards any possible negative interaction, when the information is made available to me.

Thankfully there are a number of very capable and qualified people like yourself within the hobby who can disseminate this information once it is supplied or acquired and pass on any relevant conclusions to less qualified hobbyists like myself. This is one of the reasons I follow forums such as R2R and the other excellent reputable publications available both in print and digital media.

Watching this discussion with anticipation. Tony Thompson.;Happy

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen...science rules!

As you alluded to Randy, each piece of information has a different level of “strength” when related to “the truth.”

Anecdotal evidence and expert testimony are the weakest form of knowledge, whereas metanalysis of large double blind studies are the strongest.

It would be quite a project to collate data from successful tanks to find out bulletproof methods, practices, and optimal equipment...without commercial bias.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to have commentary on how this thread impacts fish keeping protocol, namely fallow period and quarantine work. There is a small majority that does not recommend the practice but rather emphasizes the surroundings to the ideal, making the fish itself resistant, but the landslide majority believes in the fallow/QT method

do formal works seal the deal on that protocol or do we use web threads to decide? if a new tank keeper is willing to invest some serious money in a large setup on fish, where should they get their exact procedure on how to incorporate fish both at the start, and ongoing?

If I had to link em somewhere, and Ive been, its Humblefish's posts not any book or article though if Im discounting other inputs it would be great to know. On fish inclusions, would someone recommend a given peer article vs a thread?

Last edited:

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you 100% Randy, but I fear it has spread not just across the hobby but much of life now. THE INTERNET KNOWS ALL SYNDROME!!! Not what actually makes sense. It's kinda like the ol" telephone game, "well John is using Gerber baby food to feed his corals and they are growing like crazy so that's the only thing I'll use" but in fact "John" is only using .5ml of smashed peas to feed a certain fish but his corals look better so that must be it. Too many people now do not do the due diligence and research and just take other people's word for it. As a final note I always take peoples reviews in context, example you go buy a toaster at Walmart for $10 and it does great for you for 2yrs chances are you will not write a review on a $10 toaster but that same toaster you take home and 2mo later catches on fire and burns up your kitchen you would raise hell. Just my .02$

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A man who believes in his own thoughts to the point of defending them "to the death" is a man lost to science. Having the capacity to learn implies the capacity to accept that this new knowledge not only adds but modifies previous knowledge, not only completes and transforms it, not only increases it as destroys it.

The attachment to one's own ideas, or to one's own observations, sometimes leads one to deny all evidence that does not fit into the "mental model" that we have created, and so we often go the wrong way to a point where it is extremely difficult, or costly, to go back.

It is not by chance that, the more one knows, the more one doubts.

Regards

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone would benefit from the debate style training of defending a point they don't believe based on research. Forces you to open up your mind a bit.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a major point i was trying to get across in one of my former threads linked here. I got plenty of people arguing against simply mentioning their source when giving advice whether it be anecdotal, from a peer reviewed paper, etc. because many times people present their personal opinions as empirical facts widely or universally accepted when many time that simply isn't the case. How does this relate to the thread you may ask...scientific conclusions are drawn based on rigorous studies and drawn from much more than a single personal experience. For example, your SPS may thrive at .2 ppm PO4. However, when you make the statement that "high phosphate levels dont have any effect of SPS" that makes it sound like the scientific community's consensus when in reality it's one single tank (almost certainly an outlier). People tend to take others'words for more than they're worth a lot of times even if it does fly in the face of science which isn't a good way to go about things generally speaking.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I know that's a provocative title, but hear me out.

From many, many discussions I have had with reefers over the past 25 years, it is clear to me that many folks easily accept ideas that mesh with their experience, and strongly reject those that do not.

Unfortunately, this reliance on personal experience can blind people to real facts.

Suppose I made this claim:

Product Y can kill corals. It killed my XXX coral.​

And suppose that you used that same product with no issue with the same coral. In fact, you know of six other reefers who used it and who did not experience that problem with the same coral.

What is your most likely thought on reading my claim? Be honest....
That it doesn't kill corals and the coral died for some other reason?​
That I am making it up, perhaps because I sell a competing product?​
That maybe I dosed it wrong? (too much, wrong time of day, not enough mixing, whatever)​
That the bottle I got might have been contaminated, especially if I used a DIY version?​
That the coral was probably already stressed and easier to kill than usual?​
etc.​
Now suppose I ask exactly the same form of question with the same results and your same experiences, would you respond the same way?

Smoking cigarettes can kill people. My sister died from lung cancer due to smoking.​
But you smoke and are fine. In fact, everyone in your family smokes and is fine.​
Do you likely conclude any of these things from your experiences?
That smoking doesn't cause lung cancer and my sister likely died for some other reason?​
That I am making it up, perhaps because I sell cigarettes?​
That maybe she smoked it wrong?​
That the cigarettes she used might have been contaminated, especially if she rolled her own?​
That she was probably already stressed and easier to kill than usual?​
etc.​
So what can one do with a range of results from different reefers that seem at odds with each other?

My contention is that one should, if possible:

1. Look to see if the claim that Product Y kills a coral is consistent with generally accepted scientific facts. If it is (say, it contains possible known toxins like nickel), I might be more likely to look into why there is a divergence of results. In a reef tank, it is obvious what many of these differences are, ranging from testing errors to different husbandry techniques to incorrectly identified species. Some of the important differences may be unknown at the time. For example, maybe Product Y binds to aluminum oxide phosphate binders, so tanks using this type of binder will never have an issue with it?

2. If the claim that Product Y kills a coral seems inconsistent with accepted scientific fact (say, it is diced chunks of shrimp), I might spend more time trying to determine why the death happened in the one tank more than why it didn't happen in others. Maybe the product was contaminated with a pathogenic bacteria?

Anyway, just food for thought, with a hope that folks might think about ways that your own experiences may not necessarily define the underlying "truth".

Happy Reefing. :)
Maybe you should invite forum members to suggest a recent thread that illustrates the above concept. I could start, if you want :)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please start. :)

I’m a visual learner. ;)
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

We would have to approach this indirectly, citing topics most likely to find incidents of over confidence rather than individuals. For example, bacterial additives always draws out overconfident responses.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run UV and ever since I have run UV I have not had any fish disease or losses in my system. Therefore UV fully protects my system and there is zero value in any other treatments. *the losses that I have experienced were due to old age and not in anyway related to anything else because I run UV. See...

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

We would have to approach this indirectly, citing topics most likely to find incidents of over confidence rather than individuals. For example, bacterial additives always draws out overconfident responses.
Did you mean “Carbon Dosing?”

I saw a pretty crazy thread. hAhAhAhAhA.

lol. I don’t know why I’m acting like a fool.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I've noticed:

*One person says, "Product Y kills corals. It killed my XXX coral".

*Others post examples of times when product Y worked just fine.

*The first person takes the other comments as personal attacks and then the thread quickly devolves...

(In Randy's original example, the claim was "Product Y can kill corals. It killed my XXX coral.". To me, the word CAN makes a lot of difference... it can become a problem when people speak in absolutes...)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I've noticed:

*One person says, "Product Y kills corals. It killed my XXX coral".

*Others post examples of times when product Y worked just fine.

*The first person takes the other comments as personal attacks and then the thread quickly devolves...

(In Randy's original example, the claim was "Product Y can kill corals. It killed my XXX coral.". To me, the word CAN makes a lot of difference... it can become a problem when people speak in absolutes...)
Possibly my favorite threads :thinking-face:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back