Reefers with Two Part Dosing Experience Help

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to dosing and have been dosing two part with no ill effects. However, I was asked by a fellow reefer
if I was concerned about the calcium/alkalinity balance and was I utilizing the calcium/alkalinity calculator
when dosing?

Honestly, I did not know such a calculator existed so it never really concerned me as I was under the impression
that these things naturally balance out to some degree. Also, my thought process was why be concerned
when everything is in "flux" and never really remaining the same anyway.
I mostly concern myself with maintaing alkalinity/daily dosing, and reassess my calcium level every week or 7th
day.
Any input from those with more experience would be greatly appreciated :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, balance between alk and Ca is a misconception. As long as both are individually within spec, then all is well.

Just keep alk between 7-10 and steady. Shoot for Ca about 420 ppm, +/- 40.

Usually 2 part is dosed in equal parts, based on alk demand. Adjust Ca every once in a while.

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, balance between alk and Ca is a misconception. As long as both are individually within spec, then all is well.

Just keep alk between 7-10 and steady. Shoot for Ca about 420 ppm, +/- 40.

Usually 2 part is dosed in equal parts, based on alk demand. Adjust Ca every once in a while.
Right,
I believe this is probably over thinking it a bit; and I too strive to keep both within the normal range.
Generally my battle is maintaining a steady DKH, and assess my calcium; dosing calcium when
it drops at or below my desired level.
I'm just not sure that one should concern themselves with this "calcium/alk calculator" however nice, not really necessary or applicable as chasing an "ionic balance" is impossible.
Am I wrong in this belief?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as both are available, you won't have issues, there is something to be said about them driving each other out of solution. But if they're not dropping, don't worry about it. The ionic imbalance with 2 part is that with sodium carbonate/bicarbonate and calcium chloride you begin to get more sodium chloride and less of the other elements in salt water. That's why there is a third part of many dosing solutions to the "balling method" which contains everything but sodium chloride. Fauna marine sells part C which is exactly that. Other 2 parts like bionic don't suffer from that problem.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get better stability in your alk if you engage an auto doser, and dose on the hour, CA on the half.
If you are using a doser, you should be able to dial in complete stability.

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as both are available, you won't have issues, there is something to be said about them driving each other out of solution. But if they're not dropping, don't worry about it. The ionic imbalance with 2 part is that with sodium carbonate/bicarbonate and calcium chloride you begin to get more sodium chloride and less of the other elements in salt water. That's why there is a third part of many dosing solutions to the "balling method" which contains everything but sodium chloride. Fauna marine sells part C which is exactly that. Other 2 parts like bionic don't suffer from that problem.
Very good to know. I'm not having any issues but I do not wish to pass along bad information to others.
I have not experienced the sodium chloride build up as of yet, atleast not that I'm aware of. How exactly would one be able to identify such an issue?
BTW, thanks for the input

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may get better stability in your alk if you engage an auto doser, and dose on the hour, CA on the half.
If you are using a doser, you should be able to dial in complete stability.
I have an auto doser, my parameters are stable, and i'm not having any issues :) But you are correct! Thanks for jumping in here to help.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an auto doser, my parameters are stable, and i'm not having any issues :) But you are correct! Thanks for jumping in here to help.
The balance calculator doesn’t seem of great value as the difference in CA level only fluctuates 20ppm over the Alk range of 8-11dkh.
I doubt CA at plus/minus 40ppm would be important.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically use a balanced dose as a starting place and then adjust to whatever the testing numbers are telling me. If I need to add 5-10 mL more or alk then Ca then I do that. I just try and get the values in range and not moving, or at least only moving slowly where it’s controllable.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not experienced the sodium chloride build up as of yet, atleast not that I'm aware of. How exactly would one be able to identify such an issue?

You see it as an increase in salinity with your refractometer or hydrometer. 2 part slowly increases salinity over time, unlike kalk or Ca reactor.

OP
OP
tippin.turtle

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see it as an increase in salinity with your refractometer or hydrometer. 2 part slowly increases salinity over time, unlike kalk or Ca reactor.
I apologize for my moment of stupidity. :) Of course you would have a rise in salinity. Gosh what a duhhh moment. Doing regular scheduled water changes i've never experienced a rise. I suppose if your not doing water changes you would be more inclined to notice.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back