ReefHacks | Clownfish Breeding System - 160g.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is an awesome setup. You have amazing pics and some really nice looking clowns.

Thank you! We have a nice picasso pair spawned for the first time a week ago. I can't wait to see the result. ;Happy

I was wondering what you have been up to lately! Looking forward to updates!

Thanks! Yes, I was just lost in all the preparations, moving tanks, testing the product and changing plans. I'm very happy that this period ended and everything is smooth now. ;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto.jpg

Nutrients Control.

What exactly are nutrients? Are they good or bad? How can you monitor and manage nutrient levels without losing your mind? These topics are just a sample of what we see people asking around R2R forum. And I understand how confusing these concepts can be for novice reefers and even experienced aquarists.

The marriage of nutrient control and technology is truly brilliant. Our beloved hobby has come a long way since its watery beginnings, and while there's room for growth, monitoring nutrients is easier now than ever before.

Challenge or a simple task?

From one side, managing nutrients levels in a clownfish breeding system are easier than in a reef tank, as your goal is to bring them as low as you can. Without the fear that you will starve fish if the water is too clean comparing to tanks with corals. But from another side, we deal with much heavier bioload, and we need to know how to process more nutrients and keep them under control.

So what is the best way to deal with nutrients?

There is a lot of different ways to keep the nutrients at low levels, but each person is different, and after all, it comes down to personal preference. Also, keep in mind that nitrates are harmful to fish only at extreme levels when they are over 100ppm. So acceptable nutrients levels for a reef tank is not the same as an adequate level of NO3 in a fish only system.

PAX_Reactor.jpg

My preference is the Biological Filtration Method combined with a nice skimmer.

As its name suggests, biological filtration uses natural microorganisms to maintain nutrient balance. In many ways, this process is as close as you can get to replicating the filtering processes of natural environments.

In our setup, we are using the following steps.
  1. Chaeto Reactor from PAX-Bellum. (Dosing Iron+Manganese to support chaeto growth) Why chaeto? Because this algae absorb higher concentrations of nutrients than other species and it's super easy to control and harvest.
  2. Bio-Media Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Brick. 1 for every 20g. (I'm a firm believer in bacterial surface and using much more than recommended). Much like live rocks, bio-media filtration bricks are colonized by anaerobic and aerobic bacteria. Essentially, these bacteria dissolve organics, such as phosphate, to maintain proper water nutrient levels.
  3. Dosing NOPOX from Red Sea. 3ml per 25g. No secret for many years, carbon dosing was a cost-effective option to increase tank health and appearance safely.
  4. The classic water changes - 10% weekly.
  5. Skimmer (At this moment testing different models).
Sump_Media_Skimmer.jpg

But best advice would be to monitor and manage your aquarium with accurate water testing consistently. We are testing the water daily with Salifert test kits and recording the readings. This way, we can adjust the carbon dosing schedule or apply larger water changes depending on the results.

Don't hesitate to ask questions I'd be glad to share more details on the particular setup elements or subjects! Have a lovely evening. ;Shamefullyembarrased

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto.jpg

Nutrients Control.

What exactly are nutrients? Are they good or bad? How can you monitor and manage nutrient levels without losing your mind? These topics are just a sample of what we see people asking around R2R forum. And I understand how confusing these concepts can be for novice reefers and even experienced aquarists.

The marriage of nutrient control and technology is truly brilliant. Our beloved hobby has come a long way since its watery beginnings, and while there's room for growth, monitoring nutrients is easier now than ever before.

Challenge or a simple task?

From one side, managing nutrients levels in a clownfish breeding system are easier than in a reef tank, as your goal is to bring them as low as you can. Without the fear that you will starve fish if the water is too clean comparing to tanks with corals. But from another side, we deal with much heavier bioload, and we need to know how to process more nutrients and keep them under control.

So what is the best way to deal with nutrients?

There is a lot of different ways to keep the nutrients at low levels, but each person is different, and after all, it comes down to personal preference. Also, keep in mind that nitrates are harmful to fish only at extreme levels when they are over 100ppm. So acceptable nutrients levels for a reef tank is not the same as an adequate level of NO3 in a fish only system.

PAX_Reactor.jpg

My preference is the Biological Filtration Method combined with a nice skimmer.

As its name suggests, biological filtration uses natural microorganisms to maintain nutrient balance. In many ways, this process is as close as you can get to replicating the filtering processes of natural environments.

In our setup, we are using the following steps.
  1. Chaeto Reactor from PAX-Bellum. (Dosing Iron+Manganese to support chaeto growth) Why chaeto? Because this algae absorb higher concentrations of nutrients than other species and it's super easy to control and harvest.
  2. Bio-Media Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO Brick. 1 for every 20g. (I'm a firm believer in bacterial surface and using much more than recommended). Much like live rocks, bio-media filtration bricks are colonized by anaerobic and aerobic bacteria. Essentially, these bacteria dissolve organics, such as phosphate, to maintain proper water nutrient levels.
  3. Dosing NOPOX from Red Sea. 3ml per 25g. No secret for many years, carbon dosing was a cost-effective option to increase tank health and appearance safely.
  4. The classic water changes - 10% weekly.
  5. Skimmer (At this moment testing different models).
Sump_Media_Skimmer.jpg

But best advice would be to monitor and manage your aquarium with accurate water testing consistently. We are testing the water daily with Salifert test kits and recording the readings. This way, we can adjust the carbon dosing schedule or apply larger water changes depending on the results.

Don't hesitate to ask questions I'd be glad to share more details on the particular setup elements or subjects! Have a lovely evening. ;Shamefullyembarrased
What’s your personal opinion on Nitrate and Phosphate levels for a mixed reef tank? Not zero?

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your personal opinion on Nitrate and Phosphate levels for a mixed reef tank? Not zero?

It depends on the way you manage your tank. But the results should be a tank rich in nutrients. If you're not dosing any corals food, just feed your fish with a variety of different food, frozen and dry and keep it around 1-5ppm NO3 and 0.03 for PO4. Or you can keep them at zero and dose some corals food, for example, Red Sea Reef Energy A | B, some products from ZEOVIT line or any other nutrients complex like Brightwell Aquatics CoralAmino. But nutrients should be present for sure, and what form of them to choose, it's up to you. ;Shamefullyembarrased

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the way you manage your tank. But the results should be a tank rich in nutrients. If you're not dosing any corals food, just feed your fish with a variety of different food, frozen and dry and keep it around 1-5ppm NO3 and 0.03 for PO4. Or you can keep them at zero and dose some corals food, for example, Red Sea Reef Energy A | B, some products from ZEOVIT line or any other nutrients complex like Brightwell Aquatics CoralAmino. But nutrients should be present for sure, and what form of them to choose, it's up to you. ;Shamefullyembarrased
My preference would be to keep the nutrients at zero and then feed. This is my current practice. I use Reef Energy A & B 2x per week, BRS Reef Chili 2-3x per week, and then I feed some of the bigger LPS and Anemone larger pellets once a week. Is that frequent enough feeding?

I'd just rather feed and work to keep nutrients at zero then try to manage NO3/PO4 at a certain level.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference would be to keep the nutrients at zero and then feed. This is my current practice. I use Reef Energy A & B 2x per week, BRS Reef Chili 2-3x per week, and then I feed some of the bigger LPS and Anemone larger pellets once a week. Is that frequent enough feeding?

I'd just rather feed and work to keep nutrients at zero then try to manage NO3/PO4 at a certain level.

Your plan looks very good to me. ;)

This is an extremely nice system and outstanding documentation. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you very much! Thanks for following as well @OlderManSea . ;Happy

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Finally, I can post again after a long break! Last 12 months were absolutely insane in the right way, but I could barely keep up with all my projects.

And today, it's a perfect day, and I can show you the results of 18 months of work, learning, testing and researching. ;Pompus

Equipment List:

Tank:
160g - 72x16x24 custom acrylic by Acrylic Habitats.
Light: BeamsWork DA 72" LED.
Overflow: Synergy Reef 16″ Shadow Overflow.
Sump: Synergy Reef TS-34 Triton Method Sump in Red Mercury.
Skimmer: Dalua Great White Protein Skimmer GW-10.
Return: The Hydor Seltz D 3200 GPH Controllable AC Universal Pump.
UV Reactor: Pentair Aquatics SMART UV 40 WATT.
Controller: GHL ProfiLux 4 Aquarium Controller - Mega-Set.
Doser: GHL Doser 2.1 SA
ALK Monitor: GHK KH Director.
Heater: x2 Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 300 Watt Aquarium Heater.
ATO: XP Aqua Ultimate ATO - Complete 4-Sensor Aquarium Auto-Top-Off System.
Carbon Reactor: Bulk Reef Supply GFO & CARBON REACTOR - DELUXE.
Cooling: Lasko 1827 18″ Elegance & Performance Adjustable Pedestal Fan.
RO/DI: SpectraPure MaxCap Performance Plus.
Control Board: Standard Aquarium Controller Board Mounting System - Marine Depot.

Other:

Stand: 80/20 aluminum t-slots by Fandl8020.
Cycling: Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit.
Nutrients Control Additive: Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE22204 NO3 PO4-X Biological Nitrate and Phosphate Reducer.
Nutrients Control Equipment: Pax Bellum ARID N24 Macroalgae Reactor.
Bio Media: x8 of Brightwell Aquatics Xport Bio.

Reefing Q&A Thread Index:

Q: What is the best level of nutrients in a mixed reef tank?

Breeding Q&A Thread Index:

Q:
How to pair maroon clownfish?
Q: Spotlight of the controller board.
Q: How do you keep your nutrients at the desired levels?
Business Q&A Thread Index:

Q:
How you ended up bringing your hobby fish to market?
Q: How I can start selling my reef photos and get extra income to support the hobby?

ReefHacks | Clownfish Breeding System - 160g.

First of all, huge thank you to my wife Yuliya. She did an insane amount of work on this project and still working daily to improve all aspects of this breeding project.

I want to present to you our new clownfish breeding system (grow out part). At this moment we've transferred almost all of the babies to this new home. And the system is fully cycled.

Full-Clownfish-System.jpg

Cycled with Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit, on day 21, we had 1000 baby fishes in the system with absolutely no issues. But as you can see on the photo, we are also using a much more significant amount of the biomedia, x8 of Brightwell Aquatics Xport Bio, when each brick is rated for 1000 gallon.

Sump_Media_Skimmer.jpg

We are very happy with the tank quality. Acrylic Habitats did a fantastic job, and everything was made as we have requested, these guys know what they are doing. The tank is 72" long, 16" high and 24" deep with nine divided chambers. Each chamber can hold around 200 mature fishes between 6 and 12 months old. The first chamber is for small clownfish babies transferred there from the hatching tank at the mark of one month old and hold around 500 fish.

Clownfish-Babies-1-month-old.jpg

When they are large enough and can't pass anymore between dividers, we sort them by type in different chambers.

Mocha-Storm-Clownfish.jpg

Mocha-Clownfish.jpg

Each chamber is 3/4 drilled for the incoming flow.

Plumbing-Left-Side.jpg

This is one of the most fun projects that we made in the last year, and we are very proud. If you guys have questions about how to breed clownfish, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm very open to any questions, and we have no secrets about the process. Many people are afraid of breeding, but it's really not that hard, especially if you know reef tanks. There is a tremendous amount of information about the breeding process; not everything is modern sure. But still very useful and I'm here if you need help. Cheers!

I will post more details on this build and process later! Have a nice evening everyone! ;Shamefullyembarrased

Congrats on this new endeavor!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing!

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
luuuuv Reefhacks! the formulaic articles, that logo! everywhere!, the hot girl siphoning the sand - permanent fixture on the homepage!, and NEVER a bad product review!
but seriously, congrats. this looks legit.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! ;) @Peace River

luuuuv Reefhacks! the formulaic articles, that logo! everywhere!, the hot girl siphoning the sand - permanent fixture on the homepage!, and NEVER a bad product review!
but seriously, congrats. this looks legit.

Glad you like it @JohnMzreef ;Happy Indeed, we never posting bad reviews, as we never write about anything that we're not using in our setups. And we do a lot of research before buying something. There is sure many pieces of the equipment and accessories that we don't like and would never buy. But we've decided to go the other way, and we highlight only what we loved using in our setups or what we know everyone trusts.

Do you think we should start writing about bad products on the market as well?

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering that the purpose of your blog appears to be attracting advertisement, I'd guess you're rather unmotivated to be critical. I find very little reason to visit your site other than the eye candy.
Anyhow, like I said, congrats on the clownfish setup. Seems legit even with all the logos.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering that the purpose of your blog appears to be attracting advertisement, I'd guess you're rather unmotivated to be critical. I find very little reason to visit your site other than the eye candy.
Anyhow, like I said, congrats on the clownfish setup. Seems legit even with all the logos.

I understand, but man. We have many articles that are focused on how to solve various obstacles in reefing. Also, our reef tank guide is almost full here:

Reviews are not our principal focus, as we are limited about what we can write in this category. We've covered what we're using and then adding there only if something new is used. I think it's much more useful than reading plain sponsored posts from people who never used the equipment or additives that are writing about and recommending. All the logos are our logos, we're photographers, and we know how easy works are stolen and used on other websites. Watermark is a standard way to protect your works. Why not put a beautiful shiny logo on the wall of the setup? Someone will put Pokemon sign, someone name of their Youtube Channel or their Aquaculture licence. We like our branding and added it on a spot where we can always see it and remember the hard way we did until now.

But we are not charity; sure we have banners or affiliate links here and there. Any platform needs a commercial aspect, and we are no different. But we don't send popups or sending readers to the weird 3rd parties websites. Our blog is very user-friendly and informative. I hope you will have time to check other sections of the website and not only the reviews.

And thanks again for the posts I appreciate you sharing this. ;Happy

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Berlibee - thank you for the information that you and your team have shared and continue to share! I have been doing this for many years and I have found myself learning key nuances from you - thank you!

Back