ReefHacks | Clownfish Breeding System - 160g.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need frags guys, check this thread! :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans for the new brood stock system?!

Hey, sorry the first month of each year is always super busy at work. ;) At this moment our priority is to breakdown our current reef tank and set up a new one. Thinking about going full Aquaforest this time as I like their products very much as well. Or maybe will stay with Red Sea, we will see. But in both ways, we will set a beautiful large tank, something around 160g. And after this, we will think about upgrading the brood system. Do you have also breeding pairs or considering setting a system for them? ;Woot

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Berlibee
Really cool setup. I've thought a lot recently about getting a pair of clownfish and trying to breed them. I've thought a lot about the possibility of doing it professionally with 1-5 breeding pairs of a bunch of different species and selling them online WYSIWYG. Obviously, I'd start small.

Before I get into this hobby and spend money on the fish and equipment, I've wanted to talk to a lot of breeders about their experiences.

What do you like about breeding clowns? What don't you like?
What should I know about the breeding life before I start?

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Berlibee
Really cool setup. I've thought a lot recently about getting a pair of clownfish and trying to breed them. I've thought a lot about the possibility of doing it professionally with 1-5 breeding pairs of a bunch of different species and selling them online WYSIWYG. Obviously, I'd start small.

Before I get into this hobby and spend money on the fish and equipment, I've wanted to talk to a lot of breeders about their experiences.

What do you like about breeding clowns? What don't you like?
What should I know about the breeding life before I start?

Hey, sure it's a nice project! ;) Good luck!

I have really nothing to say on the subject of what I don't like about. But on your second question, man ... you need to know a lot, and it's impossible to describe. Join the Facebook group Breeding Clownfish, and you can find some old posts with more info. But all experience is very unique. So there is no option to explain, you will need to jump in and try and then decide if you like it or not. So try to create a small setup first, then move larger and larger if you like it. ;)

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. What do you enjoy about it?

As I've said, I like everything about this. Sometimes sure I want to skip water changes here and there. But it's nothing crazy.

Also, how are you selling your fish? LFS? Direct to tank owners?

Regular ways: Online, Wholesale

Have you realized any profits?

Sure.

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice project

i am trying to do the same but with no success tell now
not even one pair laid egg i don't know what the problem
how can i make the possess faster ? it has been like 7 month

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice project

i am trying to do the same but with no success tell now
not even one pair laid egg i don't know what the problem
how can i make the possess faster ? it has been like 7 month

How old is your pair?

katthereefwife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Finally, I can post again after a long break! Last 12 months were absolutely insane in the right way, but I could barely keep up with all my projects.

And today, it's a perfect day, and I can show you the results of 18 months of work, learning, testing and researching. ;Pompus

Equipment List:

Tank:
160g - 72x16x24 custom acrylic by Acrylic Habitats.
Light: BeamsWork DA 72" LED.
Overflow: Synergy Reef 16″ Shadow Overflow.
Sump: Synergy Reef TS-34 Triton Method Sump in Red Mercury.
Skimmer: At this moment Testing - Dalua Great White Protein Skimmer GW-10.
Return: The Hydor Seltz D 3200 GPH Controllable AC Universal Pump.
UV Reactor: Pentair Aquatics SMART UV 40 WATT.
Controller: GHL ProfiLux 4 Aquarium Controller - Mega-Set.
Doser: GHL Doser 2.1 SA
ALK Monitor: GHK KH Director.
Heater: x2 Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 300 Watt Aquarium Heater.
ATO: XP Aqua Ultimate ATO - Complete 4-Sensor Aquarium Auto-Top-Off System.
Carbon Reactor: Bulk Reef Supply GFO & CARBON REACTOR - DELUXE.
Cooling: Lasko 1827 18″ Elegance & Performance Adjustable Pedestal Fan.
RO/DI: SpectraPure MaxCap Performance Plus.
Control Board: Standard Aquarium Controller Board Mounting System - Marine Depot.

Other:

Stand: 80/20 aluminum t-slots by Fandl8020.
Cycling: Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit.
Nutrients Control Additive: Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE22204 NO3 PO4-X Biological Nitrate and Phosphate Reducer.
Nutrients Control Equipment: Pax Bellum ARID N24 Macroalgae Reactor.
Bio Media: x8 of Brightwell Aquatics Xport Bio.

Reefing Q&A Thread Index:

Q: What is the best level of nutrients in a mixed reef tank?

Breeding Q&A Thread Index:

Q:
How to pair maroon clownfish?
Q: Spotlight of the controller board.
Q: How do you keep your nutrients at the desired levels?
Q: What are you feeding to your fish, to keep their colouration so intense and lay eggs?
Business Q&A Thread Index:

Q:
How you ended up bringing your hobby fish to market?
Q: How I can start selling my reef photos and get extra income to support the hobby?

ReefHacks | Clownfish Breeding System - 160g.

First of all, huge thank you to my wife Yuliya. She did an insane amount of work on this project and still working daily to improve all aspects of this breeding project.

I want to present to you our new clownfish breeding system (grow out part). At this moment we've transferred almost all of the babies to this new home. And the system is fully cycled.

Full-Clownfish-System.jpg

Cycled with Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit, on day 21, we had 1000 baby fishes in the system with absolutely no issues. But as you can see on the photo, we are also using a much more significant amount of the biomedia, x8 of Brightwell Aquatics Xport Bio, when each brick is rated for 1000 gallon.

Sump_Media_Skimmer.jpg

We are very happy with the tank quality. Acrylic Habitats did a fantastic job, and everything was made as we have requested, these guys know what they are doing. The tank is 72" long, 16" high and 24" deep with nine divided chambers. Each chamber can hold around 200 mature fishes between 6 and 12 months old. The first chamber is for small clownfish babies transferred there from the hatching tank at the mark of one month old and hold around 500 fish.

Clownfish-Babies-1-month-old.jpg

When they are large enough and can't pass anymore between dividers, we sort them by type in different chambers.

Mocha-Storm-Clownfish.jpg

Mocha-Clownfish.jpg

Each chamber is 3/4 drilled for the incoming flow.

Plumbing-Left-Side.jpg

This is one of the most fun projects that we made in the last year, and we are very proud. If you guys have questions about how to breed clownfish, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm very open to any questions, and we have no secrets about the process. Many people are afraid of breeding, but it's really not that hard, especially if you know reef tanks. There is a tremendous amount of information about the breeding process; not everything is modern sure. But still very useful and I'm here if you need help. Cheers!

I will post more details on this build and process later! Have a nice evening everyone! ;Shamefullyembarrased
This is so cool! I want my clown fish to have babies!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back