reefing for mental health

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping my reef & aquariums in general has such a wonderful effect on my mental health. I have been keeping fish for as long as I can remember and I honestly think my depression and anxiety problems would be so much worse if I had never found this hobby! I want to know if this hobby has improved your mental health & if so - in what ways?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a sense of purpose from keeping tanks. Structure. I'm nearing retirement age, and I think I will be devoting more free time to this. Also, I love to learn about interesting subjects, and there is never a lack of research in this hobby!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not grow up in the best circumstances. When things got to be too much, I went to the beach... rain, storm, no matter... it reset my perspective to understand that any problem is small compared to the size of the ocean.
I have asthma, so I'll never snorkle or scuba. My reef is my little way of reminding me of those days sitting on the beach in NJ. Now, I don't have to drive 30 minutes to the beach... just go to the living room. My daughter has severe anxiety... she still goes to the beach. I imagine that someday, she'll be a reefer, too.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lovely wife says our tank has never looked better. She is likely correct in terms of most recent, last few years. I utilize the time here or there being off well. When things go sideways it's a stressor but thats few and far between, and a learning experience....I sit back at those moments and say, BREATHE, it will get better.

There is nothing better than sitting back and watching the fish flit about their business, amongst the corals and inverts....it has been a real lifesaver over the last while. Brings a sense of purpose to my day to day....

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m retired with more than a few health issues. I’m also a two time cancer survivor. Working on my little piece of ocean is something that I use to keep myself focused on the future and to not dwell on the past.
Ive had many hobbies in the past. Cars, hunting, oil painting etc. Working with my tank has, so far, been the best medicine to keep relaxed and focused.

Back