REEFING HOBBY IN THE FUTURE?

*unique*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I decided to start a thread on the topic “Where will the reefing hobby be in a few years?”.

It’s rarely talked about ( I know no one knows for sure , but I would love to hear feedback on what you think may happen).

So with all of our coral reefs dying , Many coral species are slowly dissapering in the wild ( some in our fish tanks) some just gone forever….

What do you think this means for the future of our hobby? Will the government end up banning all import of corals (since the reefs are dying like never before?)

What will become of our local fish stores?

WHAT do you think will happen in the next 10-20 years will this hobby be bye bye ?

Research states that Mass bleaching events are completely wiping out many coral reefs and by 2030 over 80 percent of all coral reefs will be gone as well as corals! Please feel free to add what you think

I think this is a great topic many are not speaking about….

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research states that Mass bleaching events are completely wiping out many coral reefs and by 2030 over 80 percent of all coral reefs will be gone as well as corals!
I would love to see your sources!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also (and PLEASE don't derail this thread with climate change denial arguments), if climate change has killed the reefs, the rest of the planet is going to be in crisis too... I doubt our hobbies will be our priorities.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO: just as Duck’s Unlimited saved the Marshlands for habitats, I think the Florida vendors who have “coral farmed”and re-stocked reefs and Shark scientists have worked to understand and protect species our own hobbyists are promoting protection by buying frags of “mother corals” instead of taking them from oceans Like Tampa Bay Saltwater and others have harvested LR, Biota and home hobbyist have captive breed many species it’s us that will protect this hobby. Of course without getting into “climate change” of course there are changes globally and always will be, our whole property is shells and was once underwater, new reefs are built on old skeletons etc. Im excited for the growth of our shared hobby and all those divers who have promoted bring the wonders of what they’ve seen to our homes.
Debra

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing we be cautious of is that, in their zeal to protect vulnerable species, that the ownership of the animals already in our tanks and that are already captive bred and propagated are not made illegal. If, for example, a species of coral were to become endangered, it would not be unreasonable to ban their taking from the ocean - but our hobby is too often made a scapegoat for conservationists as a distraction by the corporations that are actually causing this destruction and it would be all too easy for protective legislation to also ban the transport and propagation of captive populations. Suddenly, with the aim of protecting them, one of the greatest conservation efforts could be made wholly illegal.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO: just as Duck’s Unlimited saved the Marshlands for habitats, I think the Florida vendors who have “coral farmed”and re-stocked reefs and Shark scientists have worked to understand and protect species our own hobbyists are promoting protection by buying frags of “mother corals” instead of taking them from oceans Like Tampa Bay Saltwater and others have harvested LR, Biota and home hobbyist have captive breed many species it’s us that will protect this hobby. Of course without getting into “climate change” of course there are changes globally and always will be, our whole property is shells and was once underwater, new reefs are built on old skeletons etc. Im excited for the growth of our shared hobby and all those divers who have promoted bring the wonders of what they’ve seen to our homes.
Debra
Ken Nedimyer! Florida Keys diver, live-rock and critter collector led the way in coral restoration in Florida. He is the Founder and President of the Coral Restoration Foundation.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...instead of taking them from oceans Like Tampa Bay Saltwater and others have ...
Are you saying you believe Tampa Bay SW removes parts of the reef for their own profit?? They "plant" dry rock on their leased ocean floor and then collect it to sell once it is full of life. They don't do any damage to existing reefs!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will glady sell frags back to the government if they wish to replant them on the reef! Next thing you know someone’s gonna say “they” are tracking us via this site and gonna knock on our doors to confiscate our corals and fish, like they claim “they” will do with our guns! Smh

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying you believe Tampa Bay SW removes parts of the reef for their own profit?? They "plant" dry rock on their leased ocean floor and then collect it to sell once it is full of life. They don't do any damage to existing reefs!
No, not at all, the opposite, they culture dry rock with ocean goodies for our own use, thus protecting nature, that’s conservation that is often done by those in a hobby ie: Duck Hunters protect wetlands for fowl. ( I joined them because of all the work they do locally and nationally, I had pet ducks!)
Debra (I think we’re on the same page here)

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not at all, the opposite, they culture dry rock with ocean goodies for our own use, thus protecting nature, that’s conservation that is often done by those in a hobby ie: Duck Hunters protect wetlands for fowl. ( I joined them because of all the work they do locally and nationally, I had pet ducks!)
Debra (I think we’re on the same page here)
Wonder if they pay to have the plots they keep the rock at? What’s keeping someone from finding these places and just taking some?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if they pay to have the plots they keep the rock at? What’s keeping someone from finding these places and just taking some?
Yes, they pay for the lease, and I would think they monitor the area.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who exactly are these vendors?
Nonprofit groups, like CRF mentioned above, are doing this... not vendors
I can’t remember, but the show Tanked would to Florida to vendors that sold frag corals and fish, before they changed to LA wholesaler and I’ve read coral farming info from different places, such as various species being re-introduced back into former bleaching sites. Also, if you look on YouTube, about coral restoration you’ll find info, if farmers are vendors great

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back