Reefing: What is most satisfying to you?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People "reef" keep aquariums for many different reasons! To make money, calm nerves, teach biology, grow animals, flaunt wealth (not me), art and many other reasons. No matter what your reason is you have to find that keeping a reef is satisfying in some form or fashion. If you don't then it was good knowing you because you probably won't be here long!

That being said what is it about keeping a reef tank that is most satisfying to you? Not why but what!

Let's list some things that "satisfy" you and then we'll create a poll to see how you stack up!

Untitled-1.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achieving something that’s difficult, learning and persevering (lets face it this is not an easy hobby), and most of all sitting back and enjoying the beautiful masterpiece/art that is a thriving reef tank. Mixing colors, coral, inverts, fish, aquascaping, etc. it’s all an art form to me and I’m not very artistic.

This and car customization are the only ways I can artistically express myself that are not visibly offensive :D

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I LOVE setting up brand new systems. The equipment and the cleanliness of it all excites me! BUT that isn't "keeping" a reef. So for me it has to be the reproduction aspect of it all. Whether it's a clownfish pair or new zoanthid polyps I love that part!

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose the biology of it is what keeps me tuned in. 15 years of reef keeping and I still find forms of life that seem alien lol. It amazes me that even though I haven’t added anything to my tank in almost a year I still see something new when I look close enough. It being a relaxing thing to stare at is probably a close second.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning.

I pick a new hobby every few years and it’s all about discovering something new in life. Usually it’s sometthing I was aware of but never seriously learned about or participated in.

Literally this day last year I was surfing the internet and talking to the wife about starting a new hobby. She totally rejected my first pick, rebuilding/restoring pinball machines, so reefing was the second choice. And a year later am happy it worked out that way. This hobby has so much to learn about!

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an entire eco system in a tank with all of its delicate balance and how every living thing in it helps keep all the other living things alive just amazes me. Plus it’s all so beautiful to look at! I can sit in front of my tank and just watch it for hours!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people that come to the house will say the typical "beautiful fish tank" or "are those alive?" or " I've heard salt tanks are very hard to keep"........etc, the whole time I'm in a completely different universe in my head.

I say " thank you" or "yes, they are alive" or "no, it's not that hard to keep", just quick answers to questions.

I so badly want to go into deep discussions about the system, but I know it would quickly go right over their heads.

Knowing that I'm that versed in a hobby that touches so many disciplines in science, marine biology, mechanical engineering, trades skills...... Makes me understand the achievements I have in that "glass box" and that most people would never attempt to exercise their brains to that level.

Not arrogant, not self centered or egotistical. Just realistic.

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the beauty of the living growing coral reef that you can enjoy and interact with in the comfort of your own home. I find it very therapeutic. It's exciting to find something new in your reef that you might not have seen the day before. It gives a sense of achievement to see your corals and livestock growing and multiplying. I have had a lot of hobbies and recreational activities that kept me busy in the past. Dirt bikes, street bikes, 4 X 4's, boating, kayaking. As I'm getting older and not physically able to do a lot of the things I used to do I recently returned to the reef hobby after twenty some years. It helps that my wife enjoys it with me. My son has recently started a reef tank also. He lives several states away and we talk and text back and forth more frequently now that we share this hobby. My little reef has definatly had a positive affect on my life. If it wasn't such an expensive hobby I would have a massive tank...lol.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing about the hobby is the relaxation watching the tank brings. That's priceless to me. I also like designing a new system. Love how everything is so shiny and new. I also get loads of satisfaction from growing coral out from frags. The symbiotic relationship between the xoanthalea and the coral host is amazing to me.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building as well. Planning the system out and seeing it implemented. But that isn’t feeding, as said.

Being able to relax and watch it grow. Knowing I’m the care taker to that little world. I started reefing when my daughter was born and she is into it now as well, so it’s also a bonding area as a family.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I am a doctor (for the last 30 years), but in my adolescence and until my 25 years of age I had an intense relationship with the sea, whether diving for fun or earning a living, with a professional shrimp fisherman in trawl boats. In this activity, as a fisherman, I came into contact with many forms of marine life, which came in the nets and were despised and dumped again in the sea, because they had no "commercial value", called "mixture" ... I was always disgusted by this waste, but work is work. Having graduated as a doctor, at the age of 25, and perhaps because I missed this contact with marine life, I began to take an interest in aquarism, sometimes with aquariums, others without aquarium, but always interested in what relates to marine life and aquarism. And so we came here to learn from you all.

Thank you so much

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's about about learning and sharing, the end result of a beautiful tank would be the bonus. Our family comes together and helps with the tank while learning about corals and fish and also we can try to help and pay it forward with our reefing family here.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achieving something that’s difficult, learning and persevering (lets face it this is not an easy hobby), and most of all sitting back and enjoying the beautiful masterpiece/art that is a thriving reef tank. Mixing colors, coral, inverts, fish, aquascaping, etc. it’s all an art form to me and I’m not very artistic.

This and car customization are the only ways I can artistically express myself that are not visibly offensive :D
I totally get the car customization, I miss my camaro. You gotta customize that Ford to keep up with us chevys!:p:eek::D lol! I kid, I kid!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get the car customization, I miss my camaro. You gotta customize that Ford to keep up with us chevys!:p:eek::D lol! I kid, I kid!
LOL it's all good. These days, the tables have turned on Government Motors! ;)

I've owned 5 GM products.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find many aspects of the hobby satisfying, but the most satisfying thing for me is growing a coral colony from a frag. The least satisfying is when that colony STN's and dies for no apparent reason.
+1 with BigJim here.
I couldn't care less about folks coming to the house to show it off. In fact, we've never had anyone over since it's been up and running. We do it strictly for our own viewing pleasure and for me at least, for my own intellectual curiosity. The only people I would be interested in coming over to view would be other reefers to discuss specific and technical aspects of the hobby. Since we know of no other people in our little town that fit that description... I visit this community.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back