Reefing: What is most satisfying to you?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with BigJim here.
I couldn't care less about folks coming to the house to show it off. In fact, we've never had anyone over since it's been up and running. We do it strictly for our own viewing pleasure and for me at least, for my own intellectual curiosity. The only people I would be interested in coming over to view would be other reefers to discuss specific and technical aspects of the hobby. Since we know of no other people in our little town that fit that description... I visit this community.
When we do have guests, all they do is comment on the least expensive/impressive coral, shrimp, or basic fish.

It makes me wonder what I am doing wrong :D

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the challenge of it all. Whether it's planning a whole new system or how to tweak the water chemistry just right. I love that people have the option of how far you want to take your interest.

I love the relaxation it brings it to me. As a fire medic coming home from a bad day or being completely exhausted I enjoy being able to come home and check out with my system.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the most satisfied I have ever been in reefing was the transition away from wondering what would occur in my reef into commanding what would occur in my reef.

for the first 4 yrs, any light invasion of this or that was a real cause for concern, it even amounted to losing a few yrs old system simply because I didn't know what to do with a wiry red algae that was slowly taking over my rocks. I literally thought luck determined how long we could go without losing a tank to an invasion. oh how simple the fix was...all it took was losing a 3 yr old tank to invasion... and that changed me from an external locus of control reefer into an internal locus of control reefer. since then its been nothing but coralline and corals (I wont accept any alternates)

Any invaders are simply immediately killed, then tomorrow there’s no invader. The solution was to disallow invasions vs grow them on purpose.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I LOVE setting up brand new systems. The equipment and the cleanliness of it all excites me! BUT that isn't "keeping" a reef. So for me it has to be the reproduction aspect of it all. Whether it's a clownfish pair or new zoanthid polyps I love that part!
Like Rigging A new Boat!
@Flippers4pups hit the Nail on the head. So many disciplines involved and working in conjunction with one another forces me and challenges my son into getting it right.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my most satisfying moments of reefing is when you have that one fish that just won’t eat, for whatever reason, but the moment you watch it take its first bite, ****, that is one satisfying moment!!!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my most satisfying moments of reefing is when you have that one fish that just won’t eat, for whatever reason, but the moment you watch it take its first bite, ****, that is one satisfying moment!!!
Oh yea! That moment you know he’s gonna be just fine hahah I chased that feeling a lot back in my freshwater days

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another would be, as others have already said, the micro and macro fauna that pops up randomly in the DT. I even have a small 10g for those that aren’t safe in my reef, for example, my mantis, a mithrax sp., some odd nudibranchs and their eggs, and honestly, whatever else I find that is t suitable for the tank but too beautiful or alien to throw out.

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seeing and being able to grow a piece of coral into a colony. Although it seems most people just want to make money-so they become chop shops and don’t grow out their frags into big tank filling colonies.

Frizzles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to choose just one? The learning. The discovery of something new in your tank. The relaxation. The science. In the end, maybe the best part is when you have a moment of awe - something you never realized happened in our oceans. That’s a really cool feeling to me.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Challenge and achievement. It took me 3 long years,nerves braking and tons of money until I start grow up an acropora .

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say, as someone fairly new to reefing, that I really enjoy the science and biology elements -- as well as the fact that there is so much variety of life in this little space.

Some days I wish it was easy -- but honestly, the challenge is part of it as well. Also, how there is not a single plan that works. Each tank, rock, inhabitants and husbandry are varied and those require bespoke care! Too good!

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the tank is a meditation in its totality. Research, planning, growing and maintaining the reef takes patience and skill and the execution of all the study and enjoyment of the work is how I wind down at the end of the day.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with so many answers posted here already. For me it boils down to the intellectual challenge of the hobby. I don’t ever think I will fully learn all that there is to know about reefing! And coming in a close second is the ability to share this passion with my 12yo son. He is getting his first tank this Christmas. He has been BEGGING me for one for a long time now. I don’t know who is more excited...him or me!!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researching and thinking outside the box, so when you do make a move, it all comes together.
Like to see ;Wideyed how others approach things and love to dig deep ;Bookworm ;Writing into their build threads.

"Many Ways to Skin a Cat" :)

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning.

I pick a new hobby every few years and it’s all about discovering something new in life. Usually it’s sometthing I was aware of but never seriously learned about or participated in.

Literally this day last year I was surfing the internet and talking to the wife about starting a new hobby. She totally rejected my first pick, rebuilding/restoring pinball machines, so reefing was the second choice. And a year later am happy it worked out that way. This hobby has so much to learn about!
Man, I grew up on Pinbot.
Kinda same here. I thought I just wanted a fish tank and 5 months later I'm working on an sps tank. I love learning and am a little intimidated by the challenge but in a giod way lol. It keeps it exciting. I'm in awe of the life in my tank and I want to see it healthy and happy!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back