Reefing's most puzzling conundrums..

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine in the past couple of years, as I’m growing older, has been questioning the worth of automating, just for myself, not anyone else. I have limited means and it is a huge initial investment, but could keep me in the hobby? And will I be able to keep up with the electronics invariably wearing out much faster than the other equipment which is not cheap - or getting any cheaper! - to begin with.

I have decided that I enjoy the hobby enough to find out, and have been buying Apex and other equipment to investigate. I hope it pays off.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest challenge for me is dealing with a living organism. I can have 350 different corals in my tank and out of the blue one piece starts to go downhill without any known reason.

Even when running large scale frag production and have 10k frags in a warehouse. Every morning there are skeletons to pull. One out of 400 identical frags is toast. Frags that have been doing great and growing well for 4 months and then one day a piece just dies.

These 'issues' for which I can't do anything to avoid it happening again are what puzzle, confound, frustrate me the most. I mean if I have an Alk swing cause I'm lazy I know how to stop it from happening again. But random death is just mind boggling.

Dave B

This is my answer as well (in general). I have come to the acceptance that it's just one of those things. If I can save part of the colony I'll do it and try again. If a coral just fizzles away overnight, I have to just say "oh well" and be happy with the 100+ other corals instead. I'm "done" adding corals for the most part so now I'm content just to watch everything fill in and starting growing into each other/ killing each other/ whatever. :0)

Hmmm. Buy more fish and corals or a new car…? The car can wait!

Ah, I'm the opposite. Really itching to get another car. I'd sell off all my corals if it meant I could have one of my 3-4 "dream cars." I'd keep the fish though! :0)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Y’all keep these coming! This info will help us curate some great content to hopefully help you begin to figure things out, if they can be figured out! :)

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN and STN are also at the top of my list. But another is why do certain coral do well in one system and not in a other. I have 2 large lps, a trachy and a meat coral that will thrive in one of my tanks but when I move them to the 180g where I really want them they deflate and stay deflated. I have left them in there for weeks and they will not inflate. I move them back where they were and within 24 hrs they are fully inflated. Parameters are almost identical as is par they receive and the same salt mix is used :thinking-face:

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN and STN is like people having cancer. Who knows why 2 people living in same house eating same food,drinking same drinks, but one get cancer other one don't. Same with sps, thriving in same system until one coral turns to skeleton with in days/weeks, while others continue to trive.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve wondered especially lately, why supposedly harder to keep lps like Gonis do pretty well for me and supposedly easier ones like chalices hate me and seem to die to the point I‘ve given up on them. And the only sps I struggle completely with is Acros , although I’ve made some small improvement there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back