Reefkeeper

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all my reefing family members. I have an opportunity to purchase a reefkeeper 3 power bars, SL1 module, 2 RKL units 1 of which is brand new, new temp probe and ph probe both never used, and a net module. I'm just not sure how to use any of this and wanted some input please.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that Digital Aquatics, makes Reefkeeper, is no longer in business. No support or parts being made. I have one and like it but I wouldn't recommend buying one now.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to find third party probes that are compatible but none of the big name online shops have anymore RK probes. I like it b/c it's easy- I only use it to control my heaters but once my temp probe craps out I'll likely end up buying an Apex.

Only way I'd buy a ReefKeeper setup now is if it was an absolute steal.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to find third party probes that are compatible but none of the big name online shops have anymore RK probes. I like it b/c it's easy- I only use it to control my heaters but once my temp probe craps out I'll likely end up buying an Apex.

Only way I'd buy a ReefKeeper setup now is if it was an absolute steal.
190 for everything I posted

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching since I posted this and stuff is out there but still high priced. I dont think I'll ever be able to justify purchasing an Apex and all its goodies. Way out of my budget

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a bunch of controllable sockets, knowing that once the probes die you might not be able to replace, it is a decent price. If you watch sometimes you can find someone selling the old Apex for close to that price.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a bunch of controllable sockets, knowing that once the probes die you might not be able to replace, it is a decent price. If you watch sometimes you can find someone selling the old Apex for close to that price.
Really,? I'd be all for finding that but chances are I'm not lucky enough to catch that deal. I dont need the controllable sockets as my set up works perfectly for me. More wanted the options of the graft and constant monitoring of the temp and ph and ato functions

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
190 for everything I posted
Aksing too much imo. Due to it being discontinued and DA closed shop $80-100 seems to me like a better price. I still have and use a RKL. I got it like 2 weeks before DA shut down and was disappointed with them doing so. Still a good, simple, basic and easy to use controller.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any 3rd party ORP & PH probe that has a BNC connector but the biggest problem and probably the most important IMO is that you can no longer source any temperature probes for theses controllers and it is the most consumable part of the system. Without a working temperature probe, you cannot control heaters, fans or chillers. There are some users that are trying out generic probes off of Amazon but they need to be rewired and not totally consistent.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use any 3rd party ORP & PH probe that has a BNC connector but the biggest problem and probably the most important IMO is that you can no longer source any temperature probes for theses controllers and it is the most consumable part of the system. Without a working temperature probe, you cannot control heaters, fans or chillers. There are some users that are trying out generic probes off of Amazon but they need to be rewired and not totally consistent.
Yeah that's what I've been reading thanks for more info though. I'm just going to wait until I can buy an apex [emoji45]

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Archon and I am using a temp sensor purchased from Amazon with it without any issues. You just have to change the connector to the correct one depending on whether it is a standard probe or an iTemp probe. I think I have had it on a SLX module for about 2 months. The other probes are also available.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Archon and I am using a temp sensor purchased from Amazon with it without any issues. You just have to change the connector to the correct one depending on whether it is a standard probe or an iTemp probe. I think I have had it on a SLX module for about 2 months. The other probes are also available.
Thanks I appreciate the info but actually found the apex deal and gonna take it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back