Reeflo Barracuda: Gold or Baldor

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Looks like the barracuda is available as a gold or baldor model. How are these motors different? The words baldor vs High E mean little to me.
1582220310435.png

2. I read online that the difference between these and the MRC is that the MRC has a seal that will last many years whereas reeflo seals need to replaced annually. Do you all do seal replacements roughly every 12-18 months?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super-E Motors are designed to conserve energy over extended time periods. How much I do not know. You could email them?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReeFlo seals were not great. No idea if they changed them lately. I have used a lot of pumps, but never had a ReeFlow last more than two years... seals, bearings, motors or fire killed them all. I have banned them from my home.

I do not know this for sure, but the MRCs look like AmpMasters to me. If you want a long lasting, low power pump, then AmpMaster should get a look.

What is your application? If it is high head (like basement sump), then PanWorld/Blueline might be better - less wattage for the high head application. For a Closed Loop, then any of these will perform fine, so then it is down to price and longevity.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReeFlo seals were not great. No idea if they changed them lately. I have used a lot of pumps, but never had a ReeFlow last more than two years... seals, bearings, motors or fire killed them all. I have banned them from my home.

I do not know this for sure, but the MRCs look like AmpMasters to me. If you want a long lasting, low power pump, then AmpMaster should get a look.

What is your application? If it is high head (like basement sump), then PanWorld/Blueline might be better - less wattage for the high head application. For a Closed Loop, then any of these will perform fine, so then it is down to price and longevity.
Interesting that the ampmaster site recommends such high flow, like 3500gph on 55 gallon tank or more and 4750 on 120gal. They have a few different lines ie ampmaster aquasea and others. Which specifically would you recommend for 300 gallon, need 9 feet of head.
Also the below confuses me, more gallons per minute with less head?

1582239721818.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run about 1000-1200 GPH through that tank and sump. Use flow pumps or a closed loop for the rest. Do not try and run the whole thing through the sump. You will need two different sets of pumps.

With nine feet of head, look at PanWorld 150 (Blueline 55) for a return. They are pretty low wattage for a return pump that can handle head pressure with ease. These are 10 year plus pumps, do not leak and just go and go. (The PanWorld 200 is the next step up, but it is 100 more watts and probably not necessary). These pumps do make some noise and are more for a fish room than a living room. None of the pumps on this thread will be silent in a living room type of situation.

If you are looking for a closed loop or other "flow" type of deal, then get a 3500-4500 gph with a "Marine Seal."

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under what circumstances would you use the ampmaster?

Also, how often do you replace seals on ampmaster or panworld, which is longer lasting?

They just leak and that is your indication you need a new seal right?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the AmpMaster on a closed loop, or maybe a smaller one for a return pump. I would not want 2500 GPH going through the sump.

PanWorld has no seals - nothing to leak. This is the same for Iwaki, Gen X and BlueLine.

I have used AmpMasters for 8-10 years without replacing the seals. I did use marine/saltwater seals.

The seals usually start to weep, then they spray water everywhere and then they just start to spray more and more. No bueno.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm why would ampmaster and reeflo makes pumps with seals that need to be replaced when you can use one of these other brands you mentioned which never require seal replacements? Is there some advantage to the design? Is there a downside to the ones that dont use seals?

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reeflo is a direct drive with a seal between the impeller housing and the motor shaft. It’s a ceramic disk seal and needs to be replaced between 12-24 months. You don’t wait until it’s spraying water to replace them

The mag drive units like the Panworld use magnetic induction to drive the impeller/rotor, so no external seals.

I have had great success with the Reeflo pumps. Just inspect them every once in a while.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I think that most people do not know what they are buying when they buy it. One of the locals came home to spray all over his basement, texted me to tell me that I was right that he should replace his Hammerhead (or at least the seal), and then hooked up a PanWorld which provided more water upstairs and less wattage. He choose wrong and should have used a Mag Drive from the get-go since he had 20+ feet of head, but he bought the ReeFlo based on a LFS recommendation that might not have really known the difference in a Direct Drive and a Mag Drive.

Some of the low-wattage, low head ReeFlo pumps can work really well for closed loops or return pumps for under-tank stands, and they do move a lot of water for less wattage, but they are not good with head and you almost need to consider them disposable pumps.

AmpMasters rarely need seals. They are not like ReeFlo pump. You can probably buy better seals than what come in a ReeFlo, but I don't know.

Most people choose Direct Drive pumps because they need more flow than a Mag Drive can offer. Most of my friends with large tanks use AmpMasters or PanWorld/Blueline/Iwaki, but they used these before Sequence/ReeFlo got popular and know what they can do.

Figure out your need and choose well. There are pumps that can last you more than a decade without needing anything.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot @jda. Let me just clear this up, is the following generally true....

A. Direct drive gives more gph flow, but magnetic drive has more head. Man I would have guessed that more flow would also give higher head, confusing.

B. Which is less wattage?

C. Ampmaster and reeflo are direct drive and need seals

D. Panworld, iwaki, gen x, blueline are mag drive and dont need seals

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps are usually made for head pressure or flow (without head). Only a few do both and they require a LOT of wattage.

Not all direct drive need seals at regular intervals - ReeFlo are the worst at this. Most of the rest can last for quite some time. Yes, Mag Drive pumps do not have seals.

Wattage depends on the application and need. Neither have to be high wattage, but both can be. Running either against their design will not be as efficient.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps are usually made for head pressure or flow (without head). Only a few do both and they require a LOT of wattage.

Not all direct drive need seals at regular intervals - ReeFlo are the worst at this. Most of the rest can last for quite some time. Yes, Mag Drive pumps do not have seals.

Wattage depends on the application and need. Neither have to be high wattage, but both can be. Running either against their design will not be as efficient.
Ok last question for you
What is your favorite mag drive pump maker
What is your favorite direct pump maker (guessing ampmaster)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, Iwaki/PanWorld/BlueLine/Gen X are all the same to me. PanWorld and BlueLine are exactly the same except for the sticker on them.

I do not use too many DD pumps anymore since flow pumps got so much better, but if I was buying one it would be an AmpMaster.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the best go with an Abbyz or Red Dragon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back