Reeflo return pump

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade the return pump on my system with a basement sump. I'm currently using a cor20 but I'm only getting around 200gph through my system My system is around 100 gal total and my sump is about 10 feet straight below the tank. I'm using 1" line that is reduced to 3/4" right under the tank. Is it possible to run an external pump like the Reeflo hammerhead/barracuda with out drilling the sump and using a upside-down "U" pipe. My sump is on a stand so I would I could mount the pump on the floor under the water level of the sump. I know the pumps aren't designed to pull water and can lose prime but if the pump is below the sump I'm hoping it might be ok. Or if there are any internal pumps in the same price range that could do the job. TIA

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go over the top and create a siphon, but it'll probably be a hassle and create issuse for the pump long term. If the power goes out, or you lose siphon, it may destroy the pump. Drilling the sump and installing a bulkhead that never goes dry would be the best option for an external pump. A stronger internal pump would be better, but very few have decent head pressures.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to double check but I believe doing this Immediately voids the warranty on these external pumps. So might be worth looking into beforehand.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back