Reeflo seals

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had started digging around for information on the seals a while back and couldnt find confirmation if these two seals were indeed equivalent? The first being a U.S. Seals PS-163 ($7.59) used for many hot tub pumps and the Reeflo branded seal ($27.50). A number of retailers change upwards of $50! I cant imagine any of the seals being different and at $8, I'm willing to order one and find out. Before I do so, has anyone already figured this out? This is for a Snapper/Dart.

Edit: I was able to confirm that the seals are indeed the same. There are two version; the PS-163 is the "standard" seal and the PS-163v is a Viton "premium" seal that is suitable for ozone use (and possibly holds up better in saltwater applications).

Last edited:
OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, but I believe Bill Wann/Aquarium Engineering offers an upgraded seal.

Thanks. I've dumped the Reeflo in favor of an Iwaki to avoid this issue in the future but I'd still like to replace the seal in the event the Iwaki goes down and I need a substitute.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I've dumped the Reeflo in favor of an Iwaki to avoid this issue in the future but I'd still like to replace the seal in the event the Iwaki goes down and I need a substitute.

That seems like a wise switch. You’re going to get less volume, but more reliably.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link? I’m curious.

Sure, it's the MD-70RLT. Total guesstimation, I'd say a good 50% increase in flow over the Snapper/Dart but my plumbing isn't ideal for the pumps either (1" and no shortage of 45° and 90°). No comparison between the pumps on my setup. It is a little louder but way less than I thought it would be based on the Panworld I have on the mixing station.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back