Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1653173101049.png

Roughneck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 weeks of planning, plumbing, patching leak and multiple rounds of leak testing I finally finished UV sterilizer installation. It has been running smoothly for 3 days without leaking. I used Home Depot 1" PVC pipe, 5 sets of unions, elbow fittings and BRS adapter spigot x barb, Kuri-tec vinyl tubing and 1" ratchet clamps to put everything together.
I decided to install UV sterilizer on the right side of the tank rather than in sump to make it easy for maintenance of quartz sleeve and UV lamp replacement. I installed it vertically to prevent trapped bubble and clamped sterilizer body to the wall using Neat Aquatics mounting clamps.
1645404379259.png

1645404640086.png

Currently I utilize 2 Sicce return pumps. Sicce Syncra 9.0 is plumped to UV Inlet and UV Outlet to Left Return line. Sicce Syncra 7.0 is plumped directly to Right Return line.
1645405595199.png

Initially I planned to install Neptune FMK to monitor the flow through UV sterilizer but after reading all bad reviews on BRS website I decided to just measure the flow manually. Currently I have both return pumps running at 81% capacity. For Algea control Pentair Aquatics recommends 934GPH. In order to meet this target I would need to crank up Syncra 9.0 to 100% capacity. This is a serious loss of flow output due to head pressure given Syncra 9.0 maximum output is 2500GPH. Anyway I am reluctant to run at 100% as the pump starts making loud humming noise and potentially shorten pump life time. So at 81% capacity I used 1-gal container to measure the flow and got 500~550GPH. Let's see how this can keep algae in check and how often I need to clean the glass.
I was actually planning to do something very similar to take advantage of the dual outlets. I'm looking at the very same UV, that 934GPH is a ridiculous requirement. Are your having good result with 500GPH? It's getting close to the 250GPH requirement for parasite management.

OP
OP
ReefMagnet

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually planning to do something very similar to take advantage of the dual outlets. I'm looking at the very same UV, that 934GPH is a ridiculous requirement. Are your having good result with 500GPH? It's getting close to the 250GPH requirement for parasite management.
Yup 500GPH is sufficient to keep algae in check for my system. So far no algae outbreak of any kind. This GPH will potentially be reduced further as I am looking to plumb JBJ chiller inline with UV or I can switch chiller to the other return line and upgrade SDC pump. Good luck with your setup!

Roughneck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. Do you think a stronger pump that would get 1000gph on that UV outlet could affect the system in a negative way? Having both outlets with different flow shouldn't be an issue right?

Lastly do you think you're getting the full recommended flow of 1850gph between both your pumps?

OP
OP
ReefMagnet

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. Do you think a stronger pump that would get 1000gph on that UV outlet could affect the system in a negative way? Having both outlets with different flow shouldn't be an issue right?
1000GPH would be some serious flow. You need to design your scape such that it does not blow off sand bed if you have sand in your system. Also you might lose a portion of real estate for coral placement where direct flow is pointing at.
I dont see issue having different flow for different outlets.
Lastly do you think you're getting the full recommended flow of 1850gph between both your pumps?
Not even close. I think I am only getting 1100~1200gph due to overhead loss

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back