Reefmat in Waterbox 6026

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA I installed a Reefmat 1200 in my Waterbox 6026 sump. Removing the filter socks chamber was a huge PITA. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Took me about 6 hours of constant swearing…. That being said I’m very happy with the results now…. Just a heads up if anyone thinks it’s going to be a 15 minute install like the Red Sea video show.

micaheli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to do this in my waterbox 180.5 - what exactly was hard about it? I'm curious because I'm still contemplating how I'm going to do it.

Option 1) Remove baffles and sock plates in the sock area only. The reefmat 1200 is 7.5" wide and so is the sock section, so leaving the main wall seems like a good solution to keep it from hanging off of the front wall but still keeping it easy to change.

Option 2) Remove the entire sock area, drain inlet, etc and hang it off of the front wall of the sump.

Donut78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to do this in my waterbox 180.5 - what exactly was hard about it? I'm curious because I'm still contemplating how I'm going to do it.

Option 1) Remove baffles and sock plates in the sock area only. The reefmat 1200 is 7.5" wide and so is the sock section, so leaving the main wall seems like a good solution to keep it from hanging off of the front wall but still keeping it easy to change.

Option 2) Remove the entire sock area, drain inlet, etc and hang it off of the front wall of the sump.
Curious as to what you decided to do. I have the same tank arriving next week and would like to put in the reefmat but not sure if it will fit without serious modification.

DavidRZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm also curious what you decided here. I'm about to do the same and hoping to avoid the OP's 6 hours of swearing if possible.

helijamal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the reefmat 1200 in the waterbox 180.5 sump. I removed the socks and the drain inlet glass and hung the mat off the side. works perfectly. I used the redsea mod kit for cutting through the silicone. took me 2 + hours and there were a few swear words but really not as bad as it could have been. The mod kit from Redsea was the answer as a regular blade is too thick.

Attachments

• 2022-06-16 16.36.35.jpg
    2022-06-16 16.36.35.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 398

Codyrhodes97c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it plumbed I have the exact same tank and im lolking at the reefmat 1200 as well was the plumbing a pain I like how you dont have to completely destroy the sump and that the refugium chamber is still there

helijamal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to cut the drain pipe right above where the slip union is and hooked the hose up. That was probably the easiest part.

shanedag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the reefmat 1200 in the waterbox 180.5 sump. I removed the socks and the drain inlet glass and hung the mat off the side. works perfectly. I used the redsea mod kit for cutting through the silicone. took me 2 + hours and there were a few swear words but really not as bad as it could have been. The mod kit from Redsea was the answer as a regular blade is too thick.
If you don't mind sharing, did you remove only the black sock holders or also the interior glass pieces? I've been able to remove the black pieces so far but struggling with the interior walls given how narrow a space there is to work

shanedag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove the interior glass pieces in the sock area chamber? I was able to remove the black sock holders but struggling with the other glass

shanedag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove the interior glass pieces in the sock area chamber? I was able to remove the black sock holders but struggling with the other glass
Ignore this. I missed the fact that there were different types of blades provided with the Red Sea modification kit. Using the thin ones made this a world easier!

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to do this, wish me luck, anymore pictures or advice by chance? Really want to use that refugium spot so hoping that this way still works with it:grimacing-face:

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to do this, wish me luck, anymore pictures or advice by chance? Really want to use that refugium spot so hoping that this way still works with it:grimacing-face:
How old is your sump/system? The newer WB systems have modified the sump (Filter Sock Holder) to literally just pop right out w/o any tools.

Once that is out you just have to divert your drain flow into the flexible tubing that comes with your ReefMat.

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your sump/system? The newer WB systems have modified the sump (Filter Sock Holder) to literally just pop right out w/o any tools.

Once that is out you just have to divert your drain flow into the flexible tubing that comes with your ReefMat.
I have the reef 220.6 where I have to cut out the sock baffles and the down spout glass. Hoping it can fit in the slot with being able to use the refugium baffle. I know on the box the dimensions say its too big but finding fifty fifty results.

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the reef 220.6 where I have to cut out the sock baffles and the down spout glass. Hoping it can fit in the slot with being able to use the refugium baffle. I know on the box the dimensions say its too big but finding fifty fifty results.
I was able to get mine to fit, I have the WB 220.6 as well. It's tight but it should work for you!

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might just need to shimmy your sump over to the right a little under the stand, depending on where you're starting from. I emptied the sump and moved it over an inch, gave me the clearance I needed

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back