OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pics but this is what I ended up with for the large blue piece that I believe is some type of tort. I went with the lower placement vs the taller one. The past placement had the tips growing out of the water. I'm hoping that once I fill in the gaps it wont appear to "block" out the back rock/pieces.

The back of the tank needs to be scraped too, I will remove all that coralline so its all black, its a much nicer look staring into the abyss :)

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Not the best pics but this is what I ended up with for the large blue piece that I believe is some type of tort. I went with the lower placement vs the taller one. The past placement had the tips growing out of the water. I'm hoping that once I fill in the gaps it wont appear to "block" out the back rock/pieces.

The back of the tank needs to be scraped too, I will remove all that coralline so its all black, its a much nicer look staring into the abyss :)

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

I like the lower placement too.

What do you use for removing the coralline off the back wall? mine is completely covered in it too and I think I may want to scrape it all off and go with the black background, I think it is a cleaner look

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

I really like the lower placement best!

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about things, it's hard when this happens for sure but you will bounce back
and before you know it you will be buying the 1000.00 stick frags here the way things are going with
all this new stuff we have not seen before.

Regards
Tom

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the lower placement too.

What do you use for removing the coralline off the back wall? mine is completely covered in it too and I think I may want to scrape it all off and go with the black background, I think it is a cleaner look

With the acrylic being black I can actually use a metal scarper to carve through the coralline algae, I use a 'used" one so its not quite as sharp but what scratches I do make you really don't see, that is unless you are in the tank roome looking from the side and focusing on black back They are there but you need to look for them, they don't jump out

I really like the lower placement best!

I thought I really wanted to go with that look but it did end up blocking more than I wanted. I moved it back to the original area in the top right of the tank

Sorry to hear about things, it's hard when this happens for sure but you will bounce back
and before you know it you will be buying the 1000.00 stick frags here the way things are going with
all this new stuff we have not seen before.

Regards
Tom

Already have LOL- what happened is already a memory. As any acro collector knows stuff happens, I'm just lucky I'm an addict and bury myself in acros so losing what I have doesn't hurt to bad. Its just crazy how I went years on end with little to near zero death and this last year I guess I made up for the past 7 years of bliss
HAHAHA

I added about 5 pieces today- that's 3- 4 oz tubes of epoxy to secure rocks and acros so far- :confused:

Here is a teaser of a piece Ive grown from a nub- its a no named piece but its a piece Ive always thought had some potential
IMG_1173.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
With the acrylic being black I can actually use a metal scarper to carve through the coralline algae, I use a 'used" one so its not quite as sharp but what scratches I do make you really don't see, that is unless you are in the tank roome looking from the side and focusing on black back They are there but you need to look for them, they don't jump out

I thought I really wanted to go with that look but it did end up blocking more than I wanted. I moved it back to the original area in the top right of the tank

Already have LOL- what happened is already a memory. As any acro collector knows stuff happens, I'm just lucky I'm an addict and bury myself in acros so losing what I have doesn't hurt to bad. Its just crazy how I went years on end with little to near zero death and this last year I guess I made up for the past 7 years of bliss
HAHAHA

I added about 5 pieces today- that's 3- 4 oz tubes of epoxy to secure rocks and acros so far- :confused:

Here is a teaser of a piece Ive grown from a nub- its a no named piece but its a piece Ive always thought had some potential
IMG_1173.jpg

Very nice grown piece, I mean my glass is painted black on the back so I just wanted to know what you used on the inside that was easy to knock the coralline off and not take hours to do.

What kind of metal??

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice grown piece, I mean my glass is painted black on the back so I just wanted to know what you used on the inside that was easy to knock the coralline off and not take hours to do.

What kind of metal??
Just the metal scrapers that Kent makes for the scrapers they sell, it has yellow plastic with the metal. I can take a pic if needed but I'm sure google search cor kent metal scrapers will find it

LMK

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread following along

Thank you ;)

Do you feed those star fish directly or do they just scavenge?

I don't feed them directly but I do feed heavily twice a day, both look as good as they did when I got them, granted its only been 3 or so months.

Apologize for the dirty glass and the not so great picture but here is what I'm getting. there is a garf colony near the top right that's only temporarily placed. I need to change lens on the camera too, these coral pics or really horrible IMO but Ive no time for that. Still a dozen or so pieces I need to find a place for :confused: not sure how that's gonna happen, I like to give room for the pieces to "stretch out" and grow.

More to come!!

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you ;)

I don't feed them directly but I do feed heavily twice a day, both look as good as they did when I got them, granted its only been 3 or so months.

Apologize for the dirty glass and the not so great picture but here is what I'm getting. there is a garf colony near the top right that's only temporarily placed. I need to change lens on the camera too, these coral pics or really horrible IMO but Ive no time for that. Still a dozen or so pieces I need to find a place for :confused: not sure how that's gonna happen, I like to give room for the pieces to "stretch out" and grow.

More to come!!

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg
Looking awesome!!

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks very nice!!

Happen to get any updated pictures of the frag tanks at all?

I’ll work on getting them next time I break out the camera!

Looking awesome!!

Thanks

Well the Blue Face had to be rehomed :( it just wouldn’t stop eating the polyps our the acros once I get things added. I knew it was a risk but know a fellow reefer with a blue face and has no problems with it -I was hoping to get lucky with the same results, it just didn’t happen which wasn’t a huge surprise.

I’m watching the gold flake since it too is a polyp muncher just not as bad. I’d really like to see it work out but won’t be surprised if it doesn’t. I may just have to stick with the Genecanthus family, I never had any issue with them-They just aren’t as striking ;Sour

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have high flow in the frag tanks. How do you keep the corals from moving around before they encrust the glass?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
very very nice!

Do you dose Sr at all? I am starting to realize a lot of the very nice SPS tanks are dosing it directly or dosing some other trace elements that have Sr in it

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back