Reefwave 25 setup - best flow direction?

fredderf81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all! I have been setting up a new red sea 300xl 66 gallon tank. going to house fish and corals - most likely soft and hard as i enjoy most all types of coral! i have 2 red sea reefwave 25 units and currently have them set on either side of the tank, centered, 6 inches from the top of the glass. In the reefwave manual, red sea shows 4 different locations to mount and the flows that are produced.

would anyone of you who have vast experience be able to offer some of your expertise on best mount and flow?? - i am currently setup as the upper left corner.
thank you!!!
reefwave setup.JPG

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on how your rock work is laid out. Got any pictures of your tank?

All of those diagrams will work, however if your rock is blocking or redirecting flow you may not get the outcome you are hoping for. Flow tends to be one of those things we can advise on, but you really need to be sitting in front of the tank watching how the particulate moves around the water column and how your coral/fish are responding.

OP
OP
F

fredderf81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the info! i am actually picking up the rock today. I will definitely keep that in good mind though when setting it up. I was trying to "do it right the first time" i guess...however, i like what you say in terms of it depends on how the lay out is designed. Since i've got a blank slate i will try and design the rock around the flow....test it and see if i need to move the pumps. it is, of course, easier to move the pumps than the rocks so if i get something i really like...i will simply move the pumps.

thank you again for your input!

Zydan777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the final decision on the pump location? How is the flow it 2 Reefwave 25? what are your settings?

OP
OP
F

fredderf81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was the final decision on the pump location? How is the flow it 2 Reefwave 25? what are your settings?
OMG i'm really sorry - i JUST now saw this and realized i forgot all about it *facepalm*

anyways - i ended up placing 1 reefwave on each side of the back of the tank facing the front of the tank. i have them both set at 40% forward for 10 minutes @ random wave and 40% reverse for 2 minutes @ random wave.

it seems to move the water extremely well and prevents any algae growth on the sand bed. the way these specific pumps move all of the water around in the tank when positioned like this seem to prevent any "dead zones" where anything could grow.

very happy with them.

simplety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one 25. All I can say is wow what have I been doing messing with wave makers. Gyre is the way to go

rfft2321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG i'm really sorry - i JUST now saw this and realized i forgot all about it *facepalm*

anyways - i ended up placing 1 reefwave on each side of the back of the tank facing the front of the tank. i have them both set at 40% forward for 10 minutes @ random wave and 40% reverse for 2 minutes @ random wave.

it seems to move the water extremely well and prevents any algae growth on the sand bed. the way these specific pumps move all of the water around in the tank when positioned like this seem to prevent any "dead zones" where anything could grow.

very happy with them.
You have any set up photos

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back