Reference solution for KH

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one have a proven recipe for a DIY reference solution for carbonate hardness? I have grown suspicious of my test kits, since they are showing very discordant results.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can DIY alk test, or DIY standard.

We mention both here:

OP
OP
G

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So I could buy the one liter solution of NaOH 0,01N, pull 10 mL and add 30 mL of RODI water in order to make a 7 dKH standard solution. Is that right?

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So I could buy the one liter solution of NaOH 0,01N, pull 10 mL and add 30 mL of RODI water in order to make a 7 dKH standard solution. Is that right?
yes, but be sure you are using lab grade volumetric flask to measure 30 and 10 ml and distilled water if you want real standard solution

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FWIW, I would not assume such a standard will work with a device like the Hanna. I'd also warn that the color change might be different than usual since the pH will be different at the equivalence point. The exact equivalence point will be pH 7, and another drop will send the pH way down. That will very rapidly go past the normal endpoint in the low to mid 4's (which is good since you will trigger the color change), but it may go past it so fast that you may see different colors than usual.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back