Refractometer calibration fluid evaporated; salinity at 1.030!

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping with fingers crossed that I just solved an ongoing problem. Over the last several months I've been watching my acros develop STN here and there without a good explanation. I've also watched my magnesium and calcium levels creep up. I sent off an ICP test and my salinity came back at 1.030. I took a sample down to my LFS and it was confirmed, and I re-confirmed using a new refractometer. Turns out my calibration fluid had evaporated in the bottle somehow, resulting in higher and higher values. I use Brightwell's calibration fluid, which has a screw-down dropper, and I think I must have left it open allowing it to evaporate.

20200426_154547.jpg

I bought new calibration fluid and now I have to bring down my salinity quickly yet safely. I'm using a great calculator to guide me - the attached pic shows the schedule it created for me to reduce by 1 ppt per water change, which I think I can do every 3 days or so without any ill effects. If anyone disagrees with that plan or has better advice, let me know.

Capture.JPG

It can be found with lots of other helpful aquarium calculators at https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good catch
Its hot here, keep the bottle in a dark cool place
Good luck with the corals sir

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you went through.

Had a similar problem with my Mixed Tank (Couple months ago). I started losing LPS.

I eventually found out, my Salinity was Sky Rocket High. I was mixing up Salt Wrong trusting my PinPoint Electonic Salinity Probe. (It lost is calibration and possibly Low Battery). Plus there must have been another reason (like my Auto Changer wasn't changing equal amount of Water).

I didn't want that to happen again.
So got a couple items from Tropic Maurin to make my own TRUSTED Reference SOLUTION (and can make anytime I wish).

2020-04-26_TropicMaurinSalinity-Tem-Tester.jpg

- Percision Salinity Hydrometer (never needs calibration and it accurate down to 0.001)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/high-precision-hydrometer-tropic-marin.html

- Percision Thermometer (Never needs calibration) since you need water accruate to 25Degree C to get proper Salinity
https://www.aquaristikshop.com/aquaristic/Tropic-Marin-Precision-Thermometer/308006/

Made my own Refernce solution (1.0260) or 35/53. Also Calibrated my Refractometer, and Pinpoint.

2020-04-26_DIYSalinityReferencSolution.jpg

2020-04-26_Sal.jpg

Not cheap but considering the LPS I lost (worth more), and worth every penny for peace of mind.

Also since I trust the Salinity, I did ALK, CALC and MAG tests on the Water, so I also have a refenence solution for those 3 as well (to test my Kits, and ALk MOnitor)

I used the Spec on my Bucket of Rea Sea Salt.

2020-04-26_RedSea.jpg

Bucket may not be perfect for ALK,MG,KH, but close enough if Salinity was dead on (To trust my test kits)

Last edited:

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brightwell solution arrived today. I had been incorrectly calibrating to zero with rodi for years. Low and behold I am off, and my tank is at 1.028. Holy smokes. I siphoned some sand and let the ATO refill to start the adjustment.

Thanks for sharing.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t trust those mix numbers. The salt settles and the values go way off

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same thing happen to me, I had a bottle I was using for a long while. Now I write a date on the bottle when I first get it and throw it out at the 1 year mark at the latest.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know exactly what you went through.

Had a similar problem with my Mixed Tank (Couple months ago). I started losing LPS.

I eventually found out, my Salinity was Sky Rocket High. I was mixing up Salt Wrong trusting my PinPoint Electonic Salinity Probe. (It lost is calibration and possibly Low Battery). Plus there must have been another reason (like my Auto Changer wasn't changing equal amount of Water).

I didn't want that to happen again.
So got a couple items from Tropic Maurin to make my own TRUSTED Reference SOLUTION (and can make anytime I wish).

2020-04-26_TropicMaurinSalinity-Tem-Tester.jpg

- Percision Salinity Hydrometer (never needs calibration and it accurate down to 0.001)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/high-precision-hydrometer-tropic-marin.html

- Percision Thermometer (Never needs calibration) since you need water accruate to 25Degree C to get proper Salinity
https://www.aquaristikshop.com/aquaristic/Tropic-Marin-Precision-Thermometer/308006/

Made my own Refernce solution (1.0260) or 35/53. Also Calibrated my Refractometer, and Pinpoint.

2020-04-26_DIYSalinityReferencSolution.jpg

2020-04-26_Sal.jpg

Not cheap but considering the LPS I lost (worth more), and worth every penny for peace of mind.

Also since I trust the Salinity, I did ALK, CALC and MAG tests on the Water, so I also have a refenence solution for those 3 as well (to test my Kits, and ALk MOnitor)

I used the Spec on my Bucket of Rea Sea Salt.

2020-04-26_RedSea.jpg

Bucket may not be perfect for ALK,MG,KH, but close enough if Salinity was dead on (To trust my test kits)

Am I correct in thinking you used a hydrometer to make a calibration fluid for other devices?

Seems unnecessarily assuming of the accuracy of the hydrometer.

Instead of using a hydrometer to calibrate other devices, I suggest making calibration fluids of various sorts using sodium chloride and a scale:

Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping with fingers crossed that I just solved an ongoing problem. Over the last several months I've been watching my acros develop STN here and there without a good explanation. I've also watched my magnesium and calcium levels creep up. I sent off an ICP test and my salinity came back at 1.030. I took a sample down to my LFS and it was confirmed, and I re-confirmed using a new refractometer. Turns out my calibration fluid had evaporated in the bottle somehow, resulting in higher and higher values. I use Brightwell's calibration fluid, which has a screw-down dropper, and I think I must have left it open allowing it to evaporate.

20200426_154547.jpg

I bought new calibration fluid and now I have to bring down my salinity quickly yet safely. I'm using a great calculator to guide me - the attached pic shows the schedule it created for me to reduce by 1 ppt per water change, which I think I can do every 3 days or so without any ill effects. If anyone disagrees with that plan or has better advice, let me know.

Capture.JPG

It can be found with lots of other helpful aquarium calculators at https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/

I hope Brightwell made it correctly to begin with. IMO, Brightwell sometimes has issues with understanding chemical principles.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I correct in thinking you used a hydrometer to make a calibration fluid for other devices?

Seems unnecessarily assuming of the accuracy of the hydrometer.

Instead of using a hydrometer to calibrate other devices, I suggest making calibration fluids of various sorts using sodium chloride and a scale:

Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
THanks @Randy Holmes-Farley , now I can check my Hyrdrometer's calibaration.

Is there a similar Formular for making an accurate Alkalinity Solution.
That would be fantastic since I'm struggling what to trust more, my Salifert or Hanna. Sometimes they match, and sometimes not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THanks @Randy Holmes-Farley , now I can check my Hyrdrometer's calibaration.

Is there a similar Formular for making an accurate Alkalinity Solution.
That would be fantastic since I'm struggling what to trust more, my Salifert or Hanna. Sometimes they match, and sometimes not.

Do you have a scale?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do. A few. And will (if needed) get a better one, if there is a way to Make a Alk Reference solution.

I took a stab at a couple here:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a stab at a couple here:

Perfect...... Baked Sodium Bicarbonate is a easy method. Basically One of your Two part forumula's
Going to give it a try since I have some. Then I'll order some sodium hydroxide (if posssible to get these days)
Thanks.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back