Refractometer question

Thub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, it appears I got a 'saltwater' and not 'seawater' refractometer, because 35ppt and 1.026 dont line up. It lines up more at 36.5ppt/1.026. My thinking is that this really isn't a problem as long as I calibrate to 1.026 SG and ignore the ppt side of the scale.
I used a DIY calibration solution based on a post from Randy Holmes-Farley, which says that 36.5ppt NaCl is equivalent to 35ppt seawater, which is also how I noticed the scale discrepancy.
Is my thinking right on this or am I dooming myself to be forever off by 1.5ppt on salinity?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just calibrate it with 35 ppt solution and ignore the specific gravity

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, it appears I got a 'saltwater' and not 'seawater' refractometer, because 35ppt and 1.026 dont line up. It lines up more at 36.5ppt/1.026. My thinking is that this really isn't a problem as long as I calibrate to 1.026 SG and ignore the ppt side of the scale.
I used a DIY calibration solution based on a post from Randy Holmes-Farley, which says that 36.5ppt NaCl is equivalent to 35ppt seawater, which is also how I noticed the scale discrepancy.
Is my thinking right on this or am I dooming myself to be forever off by 1.5ppt on salinity?

that is correct. Calibrate with a 35 ppt standard to set either 35 ppt or 1.0264 and just use that side of the measurement.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back