OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are prepared then
As I understand it, the quarantine process for corals is just setting up an independent system for them and leaving the frags in there for a few weeks after dipping them on arrival to make sure no parasites or pests appear, and also to kill off any fish diseases as there won’t be any fish in the quarantine tank to act as hosts?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, the quarantine process for corals is just setting up an independent system for them and leaving the frags in there for a few weeks after dipping them on arrival to make sure no parasites or pests appear, and also to kill off any fish diseases as there won’t be any fish in the quarantine tank to act as hosts?

You would need 45 days at 80-81 degrees to clear ich and 6 weeks for velvet. Any coral pests or aiptasia/algae would likely show itself by then.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need 45 days at 80-81 degrees to clear ich and 6 weeks for velvet. Any coral pests or aiptasia/algae would likely show itself by then.
Got it, if I wanted to just use a little 10 gallon instead of the 32 do you think that would work? Just gonna put a marine pure brick, a power head, and the xr15 and that’s it. I’ll also probably just do a couple gallon water change every week or so. I was thinking it might be easiest just because water changes on a 10 gal are so easy.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow is honestly better... when it comes to sps...

I mean, im all for tossing in hearty corals, softies, some lps, and even monti's pretty quick... i think that just out competes nusiance algae...

But make sure youre through ugly stages and coraline algae is going gang buster before risking a lot of acros...

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow is honestly better... when it comes to sps...

I mean, im all for tossing in hearty corals, softies, some lps, and even monti's pretty quick... i think that just out competes nusiance algae...

But make sure youre through ugly stages and coraline algae is going gang buster before risking a lot of acros...
Yeah I can always get some cheap acros as testers when I feel like I’m getting close to ready.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new setup has a qt for fish and qt for inverts... it's not a big deal once you change your time perspective. I have fish in qt right now since September. Not being treated medically now but making sure theyre healthy before going into a new large tank i bought. Plus theyre small and happy so no rush...

Ill probably qt at every coral and invert for 90 days... figure double whatever anyone says... its like going on vacation--whatever you think u need for $$$-- double it, hahahahaha

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new setup has a qt for fish and qt for inverts... it's not a big deal once you change your time perspective. I have fish in qt right now since September. Not being treated medically now but making sure theyre healthy before going into a new large tank i bought. Plus theyre small and happy so no rush...

Ill probably qt at every coral and invert for 90 days... figure double whatever anyone says... its like going on vacation--whatever you think u need for $$$-- double it, hahahahaha
Can you quarantine corals and inverts together? I’m gonna get all my fish quarantined elsewhere.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, if I wanted to just use a little 10 gallon instead of the 32 do you think that would work? Just gonna put a marine pure brick, a power head, and the xr15 and that’s it. I’ll also probably just do a couple gallon water change every week or so. I was thinking it might be easiest just because water changes on a 10 gal are so easy.

Stability will just be more of an issue on a small tank so that is just up to you and your skills.

Can you quarantine corals and inverts together? I’m gonna get all my fish quarantined elsewhere.

No not really unless just observing which is no guarantee but you can’t fallow a coral with fish present to rid them of potential fish diseases and you can’t treat a fish with most medications if coral is present.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability will just be more of an issue on a small tank so that is just up to you and your skills.

No not really unless just observing which is no guarantee but you can’t fallow a coral with fish present to rid them of potential fish diseases and you can’t treat a fish with most medications if coral is present.
I know you can’t quarantine fish and coral together. But I’m wondering about inverts? I can easily set up another tank for inverts if needed.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you can’t quarantine fish and coral together. But I’m wondering about inverts? I can easily set up another tank for inverts if needed.

they can go in with coral...same rules apply unless something molts.. then it can be moved over after rinsing the tank water off.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they can go in with coral...same rules apply unless something molts.. then it can be moved over after rinsing the tank water off.
So if it molts, it’ll leave behind all the pests and disease tomonts on its discarded skin? And so then as long as you don’t transfer any of the water over and maybe give them a rinse with some fresh saltwater they should be good?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it molts, it’ll leave behind all the pests and disease tomonts on its discarded skin? And so then as long as you don’t transfer any of the water over and maybe give them a rinse with some fresh saltwater they should be good?
Correct

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Just keep fish and corals with other invertebrates separate. If you have unique issue where meds that treat corals may kill your snails or shrimp--just set up a temporary hospital tank or two. Treat corals for the pest there. Then remove the other invertebrates from the qt temporarily while you breakdown and sterilize the qt the best you can. Add the invertebrates back to the clean qt (if they are clean too).

Key is to remember qts are meant to be able to broken down and sterilized as necessary. so don't get to crazy in aqua scape. just frag racks are fine. Have a hospital tank for isolating and treating problems (just a cheapy 10 gallon is fine) that can't be dealt with in the main qt.

I know its a lot of tanks and work... But technically, it's the safest way to go... if you can... Whatever your risk tolerance is really.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Just keep fish and corals with other invertebrates separate. If you have unique issue where meds that treat corals may kill your snails or shrimp--just set up a temporary hospital tank or two. Treat corals for the pest there. Then remove the other invertebrates from the qt temporarily while you breakdown and sterilize the qt the best you can. Add the invertebrates back to the clean qt (if they are clean too).

Key is to remember qts are meant to be able to broken down and sterilized as necessary. so don't get to crazy in aqua scape. just frag racks are fine. Have a hospital tank for isolating and treating problems (just a cheapy 10 gallon is fine) that can't be dealt with in the main qt.

I know its a lot of tanks and work... But technically, it's the safest way to go... if you can... Whatever your risk tolerance is really.
I’m thinking it would be a good idea to scrape the frag plugs on the new frags I get before they go into the quarantine tank. I also picked up a really nice magnifying glass for identifying pests. This sound like a decent plan? I’m not gonna put sand in the quarantine tank, just marine pure balls and a couple power heads, egg crate, an xr15 and a hob filter without carbon.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my observational tank (one of them) after hybrid TTM. I use plastic bins for hybrid TTM.

E9011BA5-8A83-4C2F-8CDC-DE5E8D17B2FE.jpeg

and this is my messy coral and invert QT (no fish). Working on getting it more organized, need to drop a bunch of frags off at the LFS and get another rack. It used to be an observational tank for fish but recently converted it for coral and inverts
9A84553E-B838-41D7-80CC-A30DB55E2919.jpeg

D58713D1-02C8-42F7-B007-AD73869DAAA2.jpeg

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking it would be a good idea to scrape the frag plugs on the new frags I get before they go into the quarantine tank. I also picked up a really nice magnifying glass for identifying pests. This sound like a decent plan? I’m not gonna put sand in the quarantine tank, just marine pure balls and a couple power heads, egg crate, an xr15 and a hob filter without carbon.
Yes, glue new corals onto new frag plugs for sure! Great detail to mention!

Yes, i dont think skimmers are need for coral qt's unless heavy feeding snails or something like that--or PH issues

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, glue new corals onto new frag plugs for sure! Great detail to mention!

Yes, i dont think skimmers are need for coral qt's unless heavy feeding snails or something like that--or PH issues
I can always put an air stone in the qt tank and run the air intake into a place with super low co2 in order to raise the ph right? Currently I’m thinking of doing just a 10 gal for inverts without light, and then do a 20 gal with light for the corals. And do I think, in general, if the corals are bought from super high end places like cali kid corals, battlecorals and wwc that have super expensive colonies worth protecting that the chance of pests will be lessened? I’m still gonna qt but ide rather end up qting even though no pests appear.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstones or water changes work fine. Lots of people go skimmerless. Air stones can cause some salt creep mess fyi so keep that in mind. Not really same as to ph increase as a skimmer, not nearly as intense in aeration.

Set up your coral and invert qt goinng a couple months ahead of time. Get bacteria going it, etc, imo. Make sure stable.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstones or water changes work fine. Lots of people go skimmerless. Air stones can cause some salt creep mess fyi so keep that in mind. Not really same as to ph increase as a skimmer, not nearly as intense in aeration.

Set up your coral and invert qt goinng a couple months ahead of time. Get bacteria going it, etc, imo. Make sure stable.
You think like a 25% water change every week should do the trick? And thanks for the advice about the air stone, that makes sense.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back