Is a refugium worth it?

• Total voters

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to build a custom sump and tie a refugium into the custom sump.

but is it needed?? What are the benefits?? Pros? Cons?

please let me know your experiences!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do water changes on my tank. I have the refugium uses the skimmer space. No cons other than I have to flip it over every few days. Having no skimmer and only a refugium likely allows me to keep things like flame scallops for years by have a rich environment for filter feeders. I run carbon and socks too. No one should start a sump without a refugium.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do water changes on my tank. I have the refugium uses the skimmer space. No cons other than I have to flip it over every few days. Having no skimmer and only a refugium likely allows me to keep things like flame scallops for years by have a rich environment for filter feeders. I run carbon and socks too. No one should start a sump without a refugium.
How big is your tank and fuge. I really like the natural approach.

OP, I have a 15g sump with a 13x13 fuge. I think it is really helping stabilize my nutrients with balanced export. Pods everywhere now and in the DT. I like that it keeps PH stabil overnight. Little messy but not bad. So far easy to maintain and I see no negative aspects only positive.

20220218_170310.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and fuge. I really like the natural approach.

OP, I have a 15g sump with a 13x13 fuge. I think it is really helping stabilize my nutrients with balanced export. Pods everywhere now and in the DT. I like that it keeps PH stabil overnight. Little messy but not bad. So far easy to maintain and I see no negative aspects only positive.

20220218_170310.jpg

I have a 75 gallon display with a a fiji cube sump (fiji 20? first gen). I feed flakes and sometimes frozen a few times a day, roughly 35-40ml reef energy daily, brightwell amino omega hufa (2 glass pipettes or so a day so maybe 10ml?), vitachem daily (something like 5ml), and sometimes seaweed or seaweed pellets (I am out atm). I also add calanus to the tank frequently (sometiems daily). My nitrates as of yesterday were 3.7ish ppm (hanna HR), and phosphates were 0.03ppm. I clean carbon bi-weekly (if I can) and swap it monthly. I swap the socks out every 3 days or so. My pH last time I checked was either 8.3 or 8.2 ish but I can't remember exactly.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have space for a refugium there isn't really a downside. It reduces nutrients, it can help with pH, and it gives a place for your pods to multiply.

I ran my tank without one, and then when I added it I realized how great they can be. I would keep it just for the pH boost at night alone.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon display with a a fiji cube sump (fiji 20? first gen). I feed flakes and sometimes frozen a few times a day, roughly 35-40ml reef energy daily, brightwell amino omega hufa (2 glass pipettes or so a day so maybe 10ml?), vitachem daily (something like 5ml), and sometimes seaweed or seaweed pellets (I am out atm). I also add calanus to the tank frequently (sometiems daily). My nitrates as of yesterday were 3.7ish ppm (hanna HR), and phosphates were 0.03ppm. I clean carbon bi-weekly (if I can) and swap it monthly. I swap the socks out every 3 days or so. My pH last time I checked was either 8.3 or 8.2 ish but I can't remember exactly.
Wow that's cool balance for all that food import.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back