Refugium Failing- Need Help

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, long story short I have tried a Refugium a few times now and it keeps failing. At first my sump turned into a hair algae bomb...so I turned the light off, did manual removal and moved my urchin down there for cleanup. Tried it a second time with the same results. Chaeto wouldn't grow and just died off because of hair algae. Tried it a third time and the hair algae was better under control but the Chaeto basically just fell apart and vanished. I am confused and not sure why my refugium just wont take. I tried Chaeto-Grow also with no avail. I really want a refugium, both for pods and export BUT it's getting very frustrating and about to just say screw it and go back to GFO.

Alk: 9.0
PH 8.0
Phos 0.2
Ca: 460
MG: 1500
N: 0.1

Appreciate any help!

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having a similar struggle. My best advice and what I think will work is to remove as many nutrients as possible with water changes or a skimmer before attempting to use the chaeto as supplemental nutrient export.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with your fuge this time around?

Surprisingly, yes! I let it sit for a few months, got all the hair algae killed off, and gave it another go. I kept removing the hair algae manually and eventually the Chaeto started taking off. So we will see how it does!

Sea_Shanty_Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are a huge factor in Refugium failures or success. You need more than you think to get the chaeto growing enough to outcompete the hair algae. I like to flip over my chaeto ball every week or so just so I don't create a space for hair algae to grow as the growth slows

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, long story short I have tried a Refugium a few times now and it keeps failing. At first my sump turned into a hair algae bomb...so I turned the light off, did manual removal and moved my urchin down there for cleanup. Tried it a second time with the same results. Chaeto wouldn't grow and just died off because of hair algae. Tried it a third time and the hair algae was better under control but the Chaeto basically just fell apart and vanished. I am confused and not sure why my refugium just wont take. I tried Chaeto-Grow also with no avail. I really want a refugium, both for pods and export BUT it's getting very frustrating and about to just say screw it and go back to GFO.

Alk: 9.0
PH 8.0
Phos 0.2
Ca: 460
MG: 1500
N: 0.1

Appreciate any help!
You don't have enough nutrients for cheato to survive, No3 0.1? Are you sure ? Or is it 0

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly, yes! I let it sit for a few months, got all the hair algae killed off, and gave it another go. I kept removing the hair algae manually and eventually the Chaeto started taking off. So we will see how it does!
Awesome! My suspicion is that your GHA was over competing your Chaeto. So you needed to get that Chaeto to GHA ratio going on your favor. Once you get the Chaeto going, a fuge is an awesome thing

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back