Refugium for brine shrimp + copepods

mbuch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is to set up a single refugium that works for both brine shrimp and copepods. I’d assume they can’t be in the same partition because the brine shrimp would eat the copepods. So the question is, is there a single refugium tank that has the necessary partition (and capacity for any other accoutrements, such as a chiller) to achieve this setup properly and sustainably? Many thanks for your advice and recommendations!

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd probably be far cheaper to culture and "dose" the brine into your system than to buy what you're looking for. I'm not a refugium product expert but I haven't seen something like what you're describing. You'd probably have to DIY or go with my above proposed suggestion.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'd probably be far cheaper to culture and "dose" the brine into your system than to buy what you're looking for. I'm not a refugium product expert but I haven't seen something like what you're describing. You'd probably have to DIY or go with my above proposed suggestion.

OP
OP
M

mbuch21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks.
Question is really about how to keep them alive for a couple of weeks toward adulthood, just so as to not have to dose every day. I’m thinking of just getting a divider for a single tank with the smallest amount of overflow. Can use a single chiller and put a light toward the bottom to keep the pods down away from the flow. Not even remotely sure if this DIY solution is adequate.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add they require very different salinities. I don't know others experience with brine shrimps, but I raise them up in 1.030+ and copepods around 1.020. Maybe what type copepod might matter too. I just raise mine in jars.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add they require very different salinities. I don't know others experience with brine shrimps, but I raise them up in 1.030+ and copepods around 1.020. Maybe what type copepod might matter too. I just raise mine in jars.
oh wow, I've always hatched my brine shrimp at 1.015~1.016.

@mbuch21 if you plan to raise the shrimp to adulthood, then you might have to learn to seperate the baby brine from the adults, the adults will eat the young. You would need a mesh with holes small enough for young to go through but not adults. I looked into raising brine shrimp once just for the fun of it, but it turned out to be more complicated and more effort that I wanted. I think it would be easier in a dedicated tank though rather than the fuge, IMO.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh wow, I've always hatched my brine shrimp at 1.015~1.016.
I made special mix to hatch based on research charts. Biggest hatches vs salinity vs year. 1.030 to 1.032 actually if I don't mess up measurements. It would also depend on what species of brine shrimp you have. The ones I keep are from great salt lake. For the copepods I try to match the phyto salinity.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back