OP
OP
Mycota

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also thinking of adding a fuge to my nanocube 28 and I really like the chaetomax light, but $70 is a bit much for it. I may try some of the lights off of amazon that are listed on here.
70 is alot fornit but i really like it. Chaeto has been growing like crazy under it. I have still yet to set up my experiment between that and my cheap light from amazon. Girlfriend is using it for her cactus right now. Hopefully ill get around to it this spring/summer when her plants get moved outside.

Let us know what you decide. I always had great results from CFL in the past for chaeto but really needed something smaller for the nano aquarium.

Kwallstone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, I have my chaeto in the gadget basket on the far left (intake) and I use the submerssible light. I have a cotton pad as the first media to protect my chaeto from debris, then the cheato then bio cubes.... Is this in the wrong spot? Should I have it in the second chamber? I watched a few videos on this topic and they all have the refugium (the gadget basket) in the far right or left spot.. hmmmm?

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the chaeto max fuge light working ou for you?

Is it growing good still? Any unwanted algae growing in your ithe compartments from spillage?

I have a very small area in my sump and this light would be perfect -

Thanks

BryanTolentino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LetItReef hey just a quick question on the light. How did you stick it on the back wall of the tank? Just with tape or double sided adhesive?

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it growing good still? Any unwanted algae growing in your ithe compartments from spillage?

Thanks

Not the OP, but ran that light for a while. It works really well. To stick it on the back wall it comes with velcro on double side tape.

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't started my experiment. I need to get another intank basket so the flow is close on each chaeto. So far the chaetomax light is doing awesome. Chaeto went from golfball size to larger than my fist in about 2 weeks. Im running a ghost skimmer and chemipure blue.

I just bought this light but confused about timing. Do you just run it 24/7? I'm thinking about getting an ApexEL to run it off cycle from my Kessil.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying it. It has grown my chaeto very well. Let’s see about longevity now... but overall happy with the light. Very well put together.

I have mine on a digital timer I bought off amazon. I only run it 5 hours opposite to my display lights. Trying to up my nitrates a little or i would run it longer. People say 8-10 hours is good usually

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth I'm running both versions of the IM light, the original and the new chaetomax. The old white light grows chaeto much faster. That said, it falls all the time because of the stupid magnet.

OP
OP
Mycota

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, I have my chaeto in the gadget basket on the far left (intake) and I use the submerssible light. I have a cotton pad as the first media to protect my chaeto from debris, then the cheato then bio cubes.... Is this in the wrong spot? Should I have it in the second chamber? I watched a few videos on this topic and they all have the refugium (the gadget basket) in the far right or left spot.. hmmmm?
Sorry for taking forever to reply. I have the inTank brand media basket in tue second chamber. I have the innovative marine basket in the first with filter floss and purigen. At first i was afraid the purigen wouldnt allow enough nutrients to pass to the algae but it grows luke crazy. I harvest half of the second chamber basket full every week.

OP
OP
Mycota

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Sorry for not responding sooner.

This light has worked great for me. It grows chaeto like crazy and I've never had any other algae growing in the back compartments aside from the chaeto in the intended section. I uave an inTank brand basket designed for the second chamber. It works great!

OP
OP
Mycota

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this light but confused about timing. Do you just run it 24/7? I'm thinking about getting an ApexEL to run it off cycle from my Kessil.

I run the refugium light for 12 hours every night. My tank lights are on for 10 hours a day but ramp up for only 6. The former and latter 2 hours are very dim actinic. So there is a bit of time with no lights on at all.

OP
OP
Mycota

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying it. It has grown my chaeto very well. Let’s see about longevity now... but overall happy with the light. Very well put together.

I have mine on a digital timer I bought off amazon. I only run it 5 hours opposite to my display lights. Trying to up my nitrates a little or i would run it longer. People say 8-10 hours is good usually
Howbare you liking it now?

Mine is still running strong and growing chaeto like crazy. I honestly thought i was wasting money but i do like this light.

OP
OP
Mycota

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth I'm running both versions of the IM light, the original and the new chaetomax. The old white light grows chaeto much faster. That said, it falls all the time because of the stupid magnet.
Thanks for letting everyone know of your comparison. I only have the new pink led version but it grows chaeto fast for me.

I never did get to run my experiment with the amazon light because my girlfriend hijacked it for her cacti. The cacti do like the light from amazon but still dont know how chaeto would do under them. Oh well, sorry for not ever folling through with my comparison guys. Im happy with the chaetomax light. But it is really expensive. Less than the kessil fuge light tho so *shrug* if you want to spend $70 on a fuge light i uave found it worth it. If not i have had great success on another tank with a shop clamp light with a CFL bulb. But that would be hard to figure out on a nano that is almost against a wall.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto is taking off - I really like this light. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a small fuge light

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run the refugium light for 12 hours every night. My tank lights are on for 10 hours a day but ramp up for only 6. The former and latter 2 hours are very dim actinic. So there is a bit of time with no lights on at all.

That’s what I’m doing. Unfortunately all my chaeto died. Probably introduced it too early. I just left the light on. Seems to grow ugly hair algae really well. It’s all in my sump fuge chamber and none in the display so I’m just gonna leave it be.

OP
OP
Mycota

Mycota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the ChaetoMAx by Innovative marine. I recently upgraded to a more powerful light and made this thread for brackets to mount the light on an AIO if you are looking for a way to get a more powerful light.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aio-tank-mounts-for-sb-reef-lights-sprite-fuge.548559/
Wow! That's crazy. You must have a larger AIO than my IM 20 fusion. My chaeto starts to lose color and turn white on the side facing the light if i dont rotate it every so often. My chaetomax is almost too much light for my little fuge.

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's crazy. You must have a larger AIO than my IM 20 fusion. My chaeto starts to lose color and turn white on the side facing the light if i dont rotate it every so often. My chaetomax is almost too much light for my little fuge.

I have a Fluval M90. It's roughly 36 gallon but has a fairly large refugium chamber for such a small tank.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started running the IM chaetomax on my 45g JBJ AIO about 2 weeks ago with a small amount of chaeto and was happily surprised to see my media basket already full when I went to check it today. Seems like an awesome fuge light that will definitely be worth it.

Ignitros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started running the IM chaetomax on my 45g JBJ AIO about 2 weeks ago with a small amount of chaeto and was happily surprised to see my media basket already full when I went to check it today. Seems like an awesome fuge light that will definitely be worth it.

I was very happy with it but after awhile it becomes hard for it to penetrate the chaeto as it grows in a larger refugium.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back