Refugium Light Options

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a new tank build (60g w 20g sump) and am deciding on a refugium light.

My sump is this Fiji Cube 20 Sump and the fuge chamber front (where I plan to mount the light) is about 6" by 15" though the water level will likely be between 8-9":
1636990582480.png

I currently have this ACKE light from Amazon on the fuge in my biocube, and it's worked very well attached to the back glass:
1636990725112.png

Originally I had just planned to use this, but then started thinking I may include it when I sell my old tank. So, I could just order a new one for the new build (they're super cheap) but I also started looking at other options that may fit the dimensions of my new sump a little better.

I was looking at the IM Aqua Gadget lights, either the single strip or the double strip one. Thoughts on these lights?
1636990961222.png

Any other suggestions under $100, or, since the ACKE performed very well for me, I should stick with that? Any light I get would need to be mounted to the front or side of my sump, nothing coming from above.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely won't regret a Fiji Cube sump. I love mine and the one I had before this one (went bigger).

I say, if the first light worked, get another one.

But, if you are dead set on a different one, I like par38 plant lights on amazon. They work well, are easy to install and cheap to replace if something happens.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts about getting a new light was around the shape of the longer/narrower light matching the shape of my space better on the sump. And the ACKE seems to get hotter than I'd expect of an LED light, which isn't an issue with glass but did give me pause with an acrylic sump. The IM lights say they don't transfer heat, but I've seen reviews that seem to disagree with that.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts about getting a new light was around the shape of the longer/narrower light matching the shape of my space better on the sump. And the ACKE seems to get hotter than I'd expect of an LED light, which isn't an issue with glass but did give me pause with an acrylic sump. The IM lights say they don't transfer heat, but I've seen reviews that seem to disagree with that.

I know for a fact they do transfer heat. They work well though but, I don't trust the amount of heat on acrylic long term. We took it off my buddy's sump after a few days so I can't attest to the long term effects of the amount of heat it produces.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for a fact they do transfer heat. They work well though but, I don't trust the amount of heat on acrylic long term. We took it off my buddy's sump after a few days so I can't attest to the long term effects of the amount of heat it produces.
Good to know. May need to consider other mounting options, but not sure what else I could do in my setup.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. May need to consider other mounting options, but not sure what else I could do in my setup.

Build a custom one. Cheap, easy, can be shaped to fit anything (almost) and adds another aspect to the hobby.

PM me and I can give you a parts list, and tips on building. I have built dozens of such setups over the years.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back