Refugium lighting options for Red Sea Reefer XL 300

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we're starting up a Red Sea Reefer XL 300, although we have the Red Sea Skimmer 600, so the refugium would only be the smaller compartment (otherwise the skimmer doesn't fit). What lights do people recommend for that space (approx 8.5" long, 4" wide) that aren't too expensive, and aren't cheap unbranded knockoffs that can only be bought online. We were looking at the Tunze 8831 lights, but they are a little bit too long for the space and would get in the way of changing the filters.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, we're starting up a Red Sea Reefer XL 300, although we have the Red Sea Skimmer 600, so the refugium would only be the smaller compartment (otherwise the skimmer doesn't fit). What lights do people recommend for that space (approx 8.5" long, 4" wide) that aren't too expensive, and aren't cheap unbranded knockoffs that can only be bought online. We were looking at the Tunze 8831 lights, but they are a little bit too long for the space and would get in the way of changing the filters.
Same tank. I used the Neptune Gro and really liked it. Both stand-alone and, later, with an Apex. It did, however, get wet recently and stopped working. I haven’t tried working with Neptune customer service—yet—and instead purchased a Kessil H80. My sump is arranged differently, though. I “downgraded” from the 600 to the 300 as I found the 600 to be a HUGE skimmer, but then I utilized any saved space by adding a ClariSea.

OP
OP
T

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those lights seem quite expensive for just a refugium light, they're three times the cost of the Tunze 8831. The Neptune Gro also seems pretty rare over here.

fdevans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to do the same but my heater only fits in the section right after the filter socks. Where are you guys running your heater and which one do you have? Would save me a lot of work to start the refugium in there if I can move the heater somewhere else.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Kessil A80 Tuna Blue on my 250. It mounts on the side glass. I like Blue. You could get the H80 Tuna Flora it you want red.

Refugium.jpg

PNWRich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Kessil A80 Tuna Blue on my 250. It mounts on the side glass. I like Blue. You could get the H80 Tuna Flora it you want red.

Refugium.jpg
I just got a 300XL and would like to add a Refugium into the sump. Which compartment did you use. Can you post some more pictures?

hdmike444

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have the same tank and I’m thinking of adding a refugium to my sump. I also have the reef mat and skimmer situated like you, it’s hard to tell but is the reef mat essentially sitting in the refugium or is there a divider between the two? Any issues?
Thx for any help

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought and installed the 15 watt version of this. They have 30 watt as well. I have the 8 watt tunze but i was never able to get the cheto going. Hopefully this will do the trick. I now have the tunze lighting from the side with this new one over the top. I couldn't see spending $100 plus for my fuge, at least not yet.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi
I have the same tank and I’m thinking of adding a refugium to my sump. I also have the reef mat and skimmer situated like you, it’s hard to tell but is the reef mat essentially sitting in the refugium or is there a divider between the two? Any issues?
Thx for any help
No divider and it doesn’t bother me. No issues.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back