Refugium Lighting Question

Tenelen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare AI prime and I was wondering on what peoples thoughts are on using it for a refug light. Since you can dial in the proper plant growth spectrum and it has decient par/pur values would this be a viable option? I know the Kessil H380 is pretty awesome as a refug light but I have this AI prime and I don't want to drop $300. Any thoughts? Thanks in Advance!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare AI prime and I was wondering on what peoples thoughts are on using it for a refug light. Since you can dial in the proper plant growth spectrum and it has decient par/pur values would this be a viable option? I know the Kessil H380 is pretty awesome as a refug light but I have this AI prime and I don't want to drop $300. Any thoughts? Thanks in Advance!
You could, raise the blue, uv, and red, and drop the green and white light :)

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOu wont get the par needed out of a Prime, the white is too high of a K for good plant growth and there isn't enough Red diodes to do the job very well. UV will do nothing for algae growth. I would sell it and buy a light with a better spectrume, a 3500K LED flood light would be far better suited for this if you looking for a cheap option

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Ai will grow algae in a display with “coral colors “ and spectrum. It’ll grow algae in a Refugium. You really only need 100 par and less.

OP
OP
Tenelen

Tenelen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Ai will grow algae in a display with “coral colors “ and spectrum. It’ll grow algae in a Refugium. You really only need 100 par and less.

When I had 2 AI's running in my 60 gal cube as display I had no issues with algae and had pretty good coral growth, and I am actually adding the Aquatic life t5 hybrid fixture to the set up so I can do more SPS. I mentioned the AI in the refuge since I saw the performance of the H380 and how it helped cheto growth and minimize algae in a BRS test video. Since the AI can mimic the spectrum (not the par) of the H380 I figured it could be an option, but I decided to go with a LED grow light.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had 2 AI's running in my 60 gal cube as display I had no issues with algae and had pretty good coral growth, and I am actually adding the Aquatic life t5 hybrid fixture to the set up so I can do more SPS. I mentioned the AI in the refuge since I saw the performance of the H380 and how it helped cheto growth and minimize algae in a BRS test video. Since the AI can mimic the spectrum (not the par) of the H380 I figured it could be an option, but I decided to go with a LED grow light.
Yup.
Many others with those Lights do have algae issues in the DT.
Coral and algae share very similar needs as far as Light goes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back