Refugium lighting

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting refugium. Have over a softball size of cheato. Have nitrates and phosphates. And a tunze 8831.

1. How long to keep lighting on on refugium? Loaded question and tons of answers. But please speak up.

2. I see everyone's cheato floating and turning. This ball just sinks. I have flow in the refugium. Is this doable or do I need to do something if so what?

Thanks in advance

Marine Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting refugium. Have over a softball size of cheato. Have nitrates and phosphates. And a tunze 8831.

1. How long to keep lighting on on refugium? Loaded question and tons of answers. But please speak up.

2. I see everyone's cheato floating and turning. This ball just sinks. I have flow in the refugium. Is this doable or do I need to do something if so what?

Thanks in advance
you don't need to have your cheato rolling but it helps get light to the whole plant. But I recommend starting the light schedule at about 6-7 hours and then bump it up an hour every week until it is at 12 hours.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an unused powerhead can usually be put into service to keep your chaeto rollin' along. Normally 6-8 hours of light is good to start with and adapt from there depending on how it effects your Nitrates.
Several times when I've started a new refugium on a tank with higher nitrates/phosphates i've let the refugium light run 24/7 until things get where I'd like them, then cut back and see if it stays level or up/down.

OP
OP
eric33014

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a dumb question. But no such thing as a dumb question right. Powerhead in the sump? Gph? Place low along bottom or near the top?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back