Refugium/mechanical filtration help

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

just unpacked my stand and sump
Could use a little help or links to direct me how best to incorporate a refugium into my sump and to put in some additional filtration

it’s a 14 gallon sump under a 48 gallon tank. 1st-3rd sections are connected. 4th section is separate for ATO.

I really want to have some sponges, bio balls or the Fluval ceramic rings somewhere In the sump. First section has filter socks. I was thinking 3rd section outgoing pump. Second section the refugium and some live rock? First section sponges and such ( although I do believe I should have a net or some sponge/ egg crate between the refugium and the outgoing pump. ) and carbon somewhere too!

any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated
Thank you so much!

B778D4DA-37D2-4900-8080-F7DC8C1F2CEB.jpeg 2F606DE2-84FC-4FC2-BC0F-D9B84D196B25.jpeg DE710C3D-B63F-4BE4-A022-B42C11FC28F5.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a few quickies….
- skimmer chamber? consider additional equipment like reactors et
- egg crate? chaeto & macro algae floats when return is off
- I use open cell foam after the refugium to catch whatever, especially loose chaeto strands. I use Very coarse 1st then coarse. I place it between the baffles or chambers
- consider access and how you will keep the bottom & sides clean if at all. Secondly and most important is controlling salt spray and residue. WIPE DOWN regularly….have access to panels, pipes, hoses et to again: wipe down

what brand is that?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, is that a skimmer or chamber in the back corner, or is that the intake-overflow for the socks?

But yes forgot to say your order is correct. Socks, refugium, return. Make sure you place some kind of screen/filter. after the refugium

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a few quickies….
- skimmer chamber? consider additional equipment like reactors et
- egg crate? chaeto & macro algae floats when return is off
- I use open cell foam after the refugium to catch whatever, especially loose chaeto strands. I use Very coarse 1st then coarse. I place it between the baffles or chambers
- consider access and how you will keep the bottom & sides clean if at all. Secondly and most important is controlling salt spray and residue. WIPE DOWN regularly….have access to panels, pipes, hoses et to again: wipe down

what brand is that?
What do you mean by floating when the return is off? ( sorry still very new to this)

thank you!
It’s an Aquatop Reciefe set with tank/stand/sump/skimmer/heater/light combo.

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, is that a skimmer or chamber in the back corner, or is that the intake-overflow for the socks?

But yes forgot to say your order is correct. Socks, refugium, return. Make sure you place some kind of screen/filter. after the refugium
So it has a chamber where the intake goes in through filter socks. It overflows that and goes into a more forward chamber (still in first section) another overflow and then a chamber that has an under and over opening to the second section.
Skimmer isn’t in yet, I’ll post a pic this afternoon since I’m setting it up today

what kind of screen do you use? The idea is to still let the copepods and good stuff through right?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on your “operating” sump level, the water might rise higher than the baffles when the return is off. If that’s the case, then whatever macro algae is in the refugium chamber could float over the top…I use a piece of egg rate before my last baffle to stop floating chaeto or ulva

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on your “operating” sump level, the water might rise higher than the baffles when the return is off. If that’s the case, then whatever macro algae is in the refugium chamber could float over the top…I use a piece of egg rate before my last baffle to stop floating chaeto or ulva
What kind of situation would the return be off? I think I have some spare egg crate!

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my return. off all the time: feeding, maintenance, water changes et
Oh got it! Thanks.

if possible I need help with setting up my sump. I’m not sure that it’s operating correctly.
Doesn’t seem to have enough water getting to the return chamber and the last pump is running a bit dry
I know the sump is taken apart but it was running like this before I took the top off

Attachments

• 826C418F-57DB-4E7A-81C7-7B234A947642.jpeg
    826C418F-57DB-4E7A-81C7-7B234A947642.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I could not figure out how to attach the filter sock on this sump.
Love the tank, love the design. The instructions that came with it suck

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will need to establish a operating water level on your sump. I mark a water level line with a sharpie and cover that mark with clear tape.
I determine my sump water level by whatever operational level my skimmer runs at, then mark it. Make sure the pump return level covers the pump while running.
Turn off the return and ensure the sump has the capacity and doesn’t over flow

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back