Refugium options in sump

tluther22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! Newbie here... I'm looking to darken the glass dividers of my sump where have planned my refugium. I started it without darkening each side about a month ago and the algae growth in the other sump compartments is no bueno.... thanks for any suggestions.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what light are you using as your refugium lightning?
some have light visors that can be purchased and keep algae growth limited to wanted areas.

OP
OP
T

tluther22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what light are you using as your refugium lightning?
some have light visors that can be purchased and keep algae growth limited to wanted areas.
Thank you for the help! I have the square apex refugium light and lowered the height to just above the water. As far as I can find, there aren’t any hoods for it. My big concern is the light between the glass dividers of the fuge section. Light goes through there and grows algae on the neighboring sections. Does that make sense and am I over thinking this? Thanks again.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This stuff works great, lets water pass through but no chaeto, most light is blocked by it completely but if you need even more light and the flow is low (what gph through the sump?) you could use the more fine one like aquamesh blue, highly recommend the stuff

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its 24x19.5" so it is rather large so cut to size with a serrated knife

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help! I have the square apex refugium light and lowered the height to just above the water. As far as I can find, there aren’t any hoods for it. My big concern is the light between the glass dividers of the fuge section. Light goes through there and grows algae on the neighboring sections. Does that make sense and am I over thinking this? Thanks again.
No you are definitely not overthinking it algae growth in unwanted areas is not favourable. I am pretty sure that someone else more experienced than me is gonna help.
Goodluck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back