Refugium Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mrcote1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mrcote1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
413
Reaction score
261
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have a Mariner 130 and the sump has 3 chambers, one for filter socks, one for protein skimmer and one for the return. My phosphates and nitrates have been climbing (I have a high bioload) and I was wondering if anyone has ever done a refugium in their return chamber? I have the large intake screen on it so I doubt chaeto woukd get sucked into it?

For reference, my phosphates are 0.18ppm and nitrates are 23ppm. I am also battling an intense hair algae outbreak.

20250817_095917.jpg
 
Hi everyone. I have a Mariner 130 and the sump has 3 chambers, one for filter socks, one for protein skimmer and one for the return. My phosphates and nitrates have been climbing (I have a high bioload) and I was wondering if anyone has ever done a refugium in their return chamber? I have the large intake screen on it so I doubt chaeto woukd get sucked into it?

For reference, my phosphates are 0.18ppm and nitrates are 23ppm. I am also battling an intense hair algae outbreak.

20250817_095917.jpg
I did but ended that as once I added light, after a few months, it got very “dirty” which affected both the skimmer and pump in terms of “slowing” down the flow through these devices.

It was a pain the clean that out.

I did replace that with a separate lit fuge and that worked well.

Your phosphate is below .2ppm which is not too bad, I’ve run .2 to.3 for more than 5 years.

You could easily mop up with a GFO or LC like phosphate-e.

Nitrates still not bad at 23ppm, you could lower that with something like Nopox.

If you Ok with the maintenance of the sump, then yep, it will work.
 
I would run the skimmer in the return area. I do on 1 system.
This leave the skimmer area for a fuge. I will be doing the same on my new ext 112 build.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new