Refugium questions

DariusThomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium-
Sand bed? What’s the pros and cons to it?
Various macro algae or just one? (In my case chaeto) if so, what algae’s?
What CUC do I put in a fuge?
Is any lighting okay?
Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple as just cheato
or

Nick428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly live food production.
Dwarf ceriths and nassarius snails i feel are best. Mixing macros can work but one usually wins out unless you cut them back equally or have a large supply of nutrients

As long as the bed gets turned over by worms,snails it will be fine. I had a windex smell being emitted from a disturbed sandbed one time which was likely ammonia which i blame on poor circulation in the bed.

Lighting will depend on the size of the refugium but any led flood light will work from a hardware store i use a 13w led par30 5000k.

OP
OP
DariusThomad

DariusThomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly live food production.
Dwarf ceriths and nassarius snails i feel are best. Mixing macros can work but one usually wins out unless you cut them back equally or have a large supply of nutrients

As long as the bed gets turned over by worms,snails it will be fine. I had a windex smell being emitted from a disturbed sandbed one time which was likely ammonia which i blame on poor circulation in the bed.

Lighting will depend on the size of the refugium but any led flood light will work from a hardware store i use a 13w led par30 5000k.
Gotcha, how deep should the sand bed be- I’m thinking to make it about 2 inches or leave it out completely

OP
OP
DariusThomad

DariusThomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great, and would you suggest placing any form of max spect or marine pure in the same compartment or should I keep them separately. I know you probably would, but using marine pure blocks/ alternative brands, I could replace the sand completely with these blocks?

OP
OP
DariusThomad

DariusThomad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dontl't think there needed the rock and sand in the tank will be enough surface area for bacteria. I know someone that had a marine pure block and removed it and didn't notice any difference.
Okay good to hear! I assume if I were to have a minimalist rock work in the display, I should then lean towards marine pure blocks or some form of media in the sump?

Nick428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good to hear! I assume if I were to have a minimalist rock work in the display, I should then lean towards marine pure blocks or some form of media in the sump?
When i order dry rock in bulk i usually end up with a few extra pieces that i need so i break it up and add it to the sump. It will give plenty of surface area.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my opinion, keep it simple with just macro algae. I started with 4 different types of macros and three survived. Over time, one would become dominant for 6-12 months and then all the sudden a different one would take off for the same time period. I went with various caulerpa species. Our foxface loved eating it and the yellow tang enjoyed it as well. I'm not a fan of chaeto simply because it's boring.

As for lighting, I started with a couple clamp of fixtures with CFLs and ended up with a Kessil h80, followed by a Kessil h160. Had good results with all three but preferred the Kessils as they kept most of the light in the refugium chamber where the CFLs lit up the entire sump.

yanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and have found the same. Start with multiple macroalgae and see which one thrives.
I have never managed to get chaeto to thrive, despite best conditions and nutrient support.
In my case, water lettuce from algae barn is growing like crazy, a nutrient sponge.

PS: I use my large spacious weir as my refugium.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back