Refugium Shelf

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody,

Following my previous threads basically i want to have a small acrylic refugium above my sump as its too small to host a refugium.

I plan on installing a shelf above it, do I need a certain wood for the shelf or does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody,

Following my previous threads basically i want to have a small acrylic refugium above my sump as its too small to host a refugium.

I plan on installing a shelf above it, do I need a certain wood for the shelf or does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

Plywood will work, I had a custom acrylic shelf made for mine, 100% water proof and a fun colour. Personally I'd use laminated pine board painted on all sides, IF I didn't go with the acrylic route

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing this 'shelf' inside the stand above the sump? You might look at HD or Lowes. Thay have some thick PVC materials used for shelving or siding.

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood will work, I had a custom acrylic shelf made for mine, 100% water proof and a fun colour. Personally I'd use laminated pine board painted on all sides, IF I didn't go with the acrylic route

Hi Josh, just asking does any condensation form on the acrylic shelf?

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing this 'shelf' inside the stand above the sump? You might look at HD or Lowes. Thay have some thick PVC materials used for shelving or siding.

Yes exactly it will be above as demonstrated by my polystyrene sample

IMG-20200114-WA0003.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Josh, just asking does any condensation form on the acrylic shelf?

In my case none formed for me, but that doesn't mean it won't form for you. Easy to clean regardless though, as long as you have sufficient air space I don't see it being an issue

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine the type doesn’t matter as much as sealing it fully. Both sides and all edges. Could you find a thick sheet of acrylic or other material to use?

Just asking, why does it need to be sealed the edges? I was planning and putting some small brackets to hold the shelf

OP
OP
K

kbsharp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case none formed for me, but that doesn't mean it won't form for you. Easy to clean regardless though, as long as you have sufficient air space I don't see it being an issue

I'm thinking mine might form a little as some of the shelf hangs directly over the sump, hopefully no big deal

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back