refugium stocking list

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for ideas on what I should put in my Fuge. I have been waiting for Algae barn to stock some Cheato. But I have been waiting for a while. Any suggestions on what other algae to put in the fuge in the mean time.
Should I put crabs in the fuge? What type?
What other lifestock can I put in the fuge? I was thinking micro brittle stars, but don't know where to buys some.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of depends on what kind of "fuge" you want doesn't it? Remember "fuge" comes from "refugium" which is a place where organisms can exist without predation or competition. Originally, I believe that was for pods and other microfauna to grow and multiply. Along with that, you can have a DSB or mud in there and help with nutrient control. Grow macro algae for feeding herbivores. Seen some beautiful display refugiums as well. Now "fuge" is often only referred to as a big algae reactor.

One of the more interesting refugiums I've seen was a "dark" refugium. There was another term used for it but it escapes me. It was full of rock with huge tube worms, sponges and other non-photosynthetic organisms. Never saw any light. Beautiful display tank, too. Just as there are gorgeous displays with all kids of refugiums...and without. And some sad looking tanks with and without.

Short answer I suppose is, decide what you want and make sure you stock it with critters and plants that support your desires or at minimum do not make it harder to achieve what you want.

smol_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have snails in mine just so they can clean any algae build up on the glass. I have caulerpa in my fuge for nutrient export

OP
OP
D

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of depends on what kind of "fuge" you want doesn't it? Remember "fuge" comes from "refugium" which is a place where organisms can exist without predation or competition. Originally, I believe that was for pods and other microfauna to grow and multiply. Along with that, you can have a DSB or mud in there and help with nutrient control. Grow macro algae for feeding herbivores. Seen some beautiful display refugiums as well. Now "fuge" is often only referred to as a big algae reactor.

One of the more interesting refugiums I've seen was a "dark" refugium. There was another term used for it but it escapes me. It was full of rock with huge tube worms, sponges and other non-photosynthetic organisms. Never saw any light. Beautiful display tank, too. Just as there are gorgeous displays with all kids of refugiums...and without. And some sad looking tanks with and without.

Short answer I suppose is, decide what you want and make sure you stock it with critters and plants that support your desires or at minimum do not make it harder to achieve what you want.
I think I heard some one call it a cryptic refugium . I am looking to put some macro algae for some nutrient control. I have already put some pods in there, from algae barn and reef nutrition. Right now it does have some left over rock I had. I see alittle detritus build up, so I was thinking to put something in there to help with that. And just waiting for some cheato. Would a brittle star or a crab work in there?

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo Pacific Sea Farm has some good stuff. Micro brittles, bristleworms, spaghetti worms and tons of algae. I would consider them for a refugium pack.
Good luck there...if you don’t mind waiting a month ! Swapped out sumps this past week with a refug and doing the same...stocking up. Put in an order to IPSF end of Feb...they sent me back an email that I’m in queue for March 23 as they are booked....whatever that means ! Not waiting a month for some plants and bugs....sheeesh

OP
OP
D

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a shipment of inverts for my tank. I just put 5 hermit crabs and Astraea snails into the refuge section of my sump. I have three peppermint shrimp, can I put them in there too? Are emerald crabs good for Fuge too?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent sized fuge in my sump. Just tons of chaeto and added 4 blue leg hermits yesterday. I might sound stupid to some of you that have had crabs but I didn’t know those buggers can climb the glass to get algae at the top. I kind of like them lol

Back