Refugium Struggles

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second attempt at setting up a refugium and my Chaeto is dying. The first one failed about a year ago. Tank parameters are all very good and stable (tank almost 2 years old), though I am struggling to keep Phosphates under 0.1 (hoping the refugium would help). I have a Tunze full spectrum refugium light on for 8 hours at night. I stocked it with several cups of Chaeto a month or so ago and it is almost gone and the remaining looks very dull colored. The worst part is there is plenty of hair algae growing in it, but none in my display tank! I thought Chaeto was hardy and would keep away the hair algae. I have dosed Vibrant every few weeks.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I thought Refugiums were supposed to be pretty easy.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is an algae-eating bacteria. The way it seem to work us to target a specific kind of algae until its gone, them move onto the next.

GHA grows faster than chaeto so its possible that its able to survive the vibrant but chaeto not.

With chaeto, its an numbers and math issue. Just because you have it, doesnt mean it'll prevent gha from growing. It needs to be able to outcompete them. If the GHA volume is big enough, or if the light under which it grows is a lot more indusive to growing (for ex, stronger dt light, longer dt photo period, etc. ), then its possible that gha will outcompete chaeto and kill it instead.

Finally chaeto seem to need trace elements like iron from what I've been told. Could be a factor for you too.

OP
OP
raylinds

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is an algae-eating bacteria. The way it seem to work us to target a specific kind of algae until its gone, them move onto the next.

GHA grows faster than chaeto so its possible that its able to survive the vibrant but chaeto not.

With chaeto, its an numbers and math issue. Just because you have it, doesnt mean it'll prevent gha from growing. It needs to be able to outcompete them. If the GHA volume is big enough, or if the light under which it grows is a lot more indusive to growing (for ex, stronger dt light, longer dt photo period, etc. ), then its possible that gha will outcompete chaeto and kill it instead.

Finally chaeto seem to need trace elements like iron from what I've been told. Could be a factor for you too.
I guess I'll stop the Vibrant. There is actually a little more chaeto than GHA, used to be much more. As long as the GHA is not in my DT maybe I should just leave it and add more chaeto.

Stevemillercali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second attempt at setting up a refugium and my Chaeto is dying. The first one failed about a year ago. Tank parameters are all very good and stable (tank almost 2 years old), though I am struggling to keep Phosphates under 0.1 (hoping the refugium would help). I have a Tunze full spectrum refugium light on for 8 hours at night. I stocked it with several cups of Chaeto a month or so ago and it is almost gone and the remaining looks very dull colored. The worst part is there is plenty of hair algae growing in it, but none in my display tank! I thought Chaeto was hardy and would keep away the hair algae. I have dosed Vibrant every few weeks.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I thought Refugiums were supposed to be pretty easy.
i had the same problem and switched my light to red spectrum only and now its thriving and growing like crazy

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say what factor Vibrant could be playing but high phosphates is probably something you should address first. Also there are different types of chaeto so the source could be the issue.
There are also other macro algaes that can help get your refugium established and bring nutrients under control.

bruce53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You might want to bump up the phosphate a little bit.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant does not discriminate. It eats algae, gha or chaeto or otherwise.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back