Refugium turnover and DT flow questions

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is WaterBox 6025 about 150 gallons and a good size refugium. One single overflow. No skimmer or filters. Return pump is 1500gph. I’m running the return pump full power but has a tee and a valve set to the flow the overflow can handle and just recirculating the rest of the water in refugium. DT has two MP40s.

Question 1. How much turnover do I have with just a one inch overflow box and is that enough?

Question 2. Is two MP40s enough for flow in DT?

Tank has been running for a month now. I had both MP40S on the same end by the overflow and was getting some scum on the opposite side on the top of the water so I moved one MP40 to the side. What do people do for flow in a Peninsula style tank?
8CE5040F-1776-499C-BA04-7E0161FC3A3A.jpeg
1E4B6505-5F78-4912-B44B-01873DC28734.jpeg
F405FB29-1AF2-4DC7-9FC0-F89130D950B4.jpeg
F2F2D007-E997-4F15-8707-046F10D9E850.jpeg
B8D1EB37-A1E5-4830-8648-36B150989D05.jpeg
46DF46AD-FB0F-4AFC-9E3E-504DAF3003A9.jpeg
image.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display will be fine with 2 MP40 s that’s what I run now in my Red Sea S650 which is a similar size. I’d have them at opposite ends myself

As far as the return is concerned it’s very much personal choice, it’s sounds like it might just be ok at full power.

In my new big system I’m running at about 3-4 times total volume through the sump so the filtration has plenty of contact time. Again it’s all personal choice really as long as it’s sufficient

Michael Curtis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks to sump turnover has a little bit of contention to it

Some say 3-5x others say 10x its all dependent on the setup

Perosnaly I'm not sure restricting the flow from the pump with a valve is a good idea but it depends on if its ac or dc ( controllable ) due to the back pressure it will be causing affecting flow and potential for damage to the pump its self.

Can't really comment on mp40 placement as I don't have a peninsula tank but would say they should be on the same end

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display will be fine with 2 MP40 s that’s what I run now in my Red Sea S650 which is a similar size. I’d have them at opposite ends myself

As far as the return is concerned it’s very much personal choice, it’s sounds like it might just be ok at full power.

In my new big system I’m running at about 3-4 times total volume through the sump so the filtration has plenty of contact time. Again it’s all personal choice really as long as it’s sufficient
What determines sufficient? I have tested both DT and refugium parameters are the same and the temperature in DT stays consistent.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks to sump turnover has a little bit of contention to it

Some say 3-5x others say 10x its all dependent on the setup

Perosnaly I'm not sure restricting the flow from the pump with a valve is a good idea but it depends on if its ac or dc ( controllable ) due to the back pressure it will be causing affecting flow and potential for damage to the pump its self.

Can't really comment on mp40 placement as I don't have a peninsula tank but would say they should be on the same end
No restrictions on the pump. I put a tee before the valve so it just restricts the flow to DT and sends the rest of the water back to the other side of refugium.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What determines sufficient? I have tested both DT and refugium parameters are the same and the temperature in DT stays consistent.
If you look on the ecotech web site below you can put in your dimensions and it will tell you the flow requirements for different corals etc for each type of pump.

The display and sump parameters should be the same, but as already said it depends on your set up, filtration etc. I’ve gone for 3-4 times turnover because that’s what I decided was about right for the media I’m using including Seachem Matrix and a lot of it. Like about 48 litres I think and counting!

I don’t think there is any definite answer as such as there are different ways of doing it depending on individual setup and sump media etc. In my case I don’t want water rushing through the sump, I want a steady flow and contact time

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on the ecotech web site below you can put in your dimensions and it will tell you the flow requirements for different corals etc for each type of pump.

The display and sump parameters should be the same, but as already said it depends on your set up, filtration etc. I’ve gone for 3-4 times turnover because that’s what I decided was about right for the media I’m using including Seachem Matrix and a lot of it. Like about 48 litres I think and counting!

I don’t think there is any definite answer as such as there are different ways of doing it depending on individual setup and sump media etc. In my case I don’t want water rushing through the sump, I want a steady flow and contact time
Sump contains 120 pounds of Oolite sand and some rocks held off the sand with egg crates. Much more flow would really blow that lite sand around. Thanks for that link.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I put my tank dimensions it that calculator and says only need one MP40? I didn’t realize they put out that much water. Maybe I have been blasting too much flow?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put my tank dimensions it that calculator and says only need one MP40? I didn’t realize they put out that much water. Maybe I have been blasting too much flow?
They can put out some serious flow, but I run mine on the S650 at around 85-90% full power for most of the day at different programs, mainly reef crest, tidal etc.

In my ‘big tank‘ I have 2 MP60’s and a single MP40 in the middle and that’s some serious flow as well.

Play around with different flow patterns and power, but the tank looks ok

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can put out some serious flow, but I run mine on the S650 at around 85-90% full power for most of the day at different programs, mainly reef crest, tidal etc.

In my ‘big tank‘ I have 2 MP60’s and a single MP40 in the middle and that’s some serious flow as well.

Play around with different flow patterns and power, but the tank looks ok
Yes the tank is looking good. I’ll try the both ends and turn them down a little.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back