Regal 200INT DC Skimmer - New tank and Tuning

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the Regal 200 INT running in my Waterbox 220.6. The tank is new and only has two clownfish in it as of last Saturday. So I know there isn't much of a bioload for the skimmer to be pulling out junk. At this point in my tank, how do I tune this skimmer? Pump speed vs gate valve adjustments are confusing me.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are probably several ways to do this. One approach is to start with the manufacturer's recommendation (which is usually about 8 or 9 inches) for the water height, then get in the ball park with the pump speed, and then dial it in with the gate. That is a nice skimmer - good luck with the setup!

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are probably several ways to do this. One approach is to start with the manufacturer's recommendation (which is usually about 8 or 9 inches) for the water height, then get in the ball park with the pump speed, and then dial it in with the gate. That is a nice skimmer - good luck with the setup!
Yeah its sitting at around 8.5 inches in the sump. How do I know what ball park is for the pump speed? My old tank I had just an AC skimmer.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Other people may have other approaches, but here is one way to move forward. Open the valve all the way and then back it off a couple of notches, then set the pump so the bubbles are at the bottom of the neck. This should have you in the ballpark. Then make adjustments with the valve from there. If it gets to the point where the valve can't open any more or less then readjust the pump.

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came up on this thread, thinking about getting the same skimmer with the same pump, did this skimmer fit in your sump with the refugium baffle up? This would be a huge help thanks!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go to the doctor sometimes I am intimidated when I have to pee in a cup, you have two clowns that could live in the cup of that skimmer. How to adjust the skimmer Patience.
Nice choice in the skimmer, it is a beast. You will grow into that is for sure.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 110.4 waterbox and an old Vertex Alpha 170 skimmer pared with the same Varios 4 skimmer pump as the Regal 200INT. The recommended water depth for the skimmer was 9-10 in of water but it never rain quite right in those depths. I cannot run the pump at anything past speed 2 as it will spew micro bubbles everywhere. But running the pump at 2 does not create enough bubbles to skim anything. I raised the skimmer up 1.5inches and could run the pump at a higher speed without the micro bubbles which greatly improved the skimming performance.

Try running the pump at the recommended height and see if the skimmer can run normally at any pump speeds. If you find yourself battling with microbubbles issues at high pump speeds and adjusting the valve does nothing, try raising up the skimmer higher.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back