Regal Angel and SPS

  • Thread starter Thread starter clowndude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
So you would just mix up the Mag solution from BRS and dose how much manually as needed?
You could do it this way, or if you figure out your mag usage, you could evenutally hook it up to a peristaltic dosing pump
 
You could do it this way, or if you figure out your mag usage, you could evenutally hook it up to a peristaltic dosing pump

If I did that, shouldn't I just go with a 3 part solution then instead of kalk? I just curious which method would be better kalk or 3 part?
 
So you would just mix up the Mag solution from BRS and dose how much manually as needed?

Correct. The BRS has two different recipes that are clearly spelled out. One is specific to use when using a kalk/calcium reactor. Its like 7.5cups on one with only 1/4 of the other, so keep the in mind when you order. Only order the small one of the one you don't need much of. If you were close, I'd give you half of it, haha, cause I ordered the bigger one and haven't touched it after many gallons of Mag I've made.

In order to determine dosages, you need to find out what you are currently at, and increase only by 100ppm a day. Use the reef calculator to determine how much you need to raise it by 100. Keep doing this until you get to where you wanna get to. Don't freak out when it tells you to add 450ml to increase by just 100 either, cause I did, but its normal. :)
 
Chances are, you'll have to switch to two part before too long unless you end up getting a calcium reactor. Kalk is a great addition to 2 part to keep up with calcium demand, but doesn't serve well as a replacement in a mature reef. I'd recommend a combination of the two. Dosing kalk at night will help stabilize your pH, and will also cut back on the amount of 2 part that you need to dose
 
You could do it this way, or if you figure out your mag usage, you could evenutally hook it up to a peristaltic dosing pump

I logged mine meticulously in Excel, and had a hard time figuring out a daily dosage, so I never moved to this route.

Mag is odd. Also remember that if you increase your salinity, your Mag will increase as well, so its hard to pinpoint down the exact dosage you need on a daily basis.
 
Chances are, you'll have to switch to two part before too long unless you end up getting a calcium reactor. Kalk is a great addition to 2 part to keep up with calcium demand, but doesn't serve well as a replacement in a mature reef. I'd recommend a combination of the two. Dosing kalk at night will help stabilize your pH, and will also cut back on the amount of 2 part that you need to dose

My reactor kept up with my calcium for the most part, but I did dose calcium after doing a water change to bring it back up to where it needed to be. I actually started adding calcium and mag to my NSW on water changes
 
LOL that is exactly what I use from my ATO now. It works great and if it craps out it's so cheap you just get another one without thinking about the cost.

I bought an extra one just to keep around in case, haha. Can't beat it for $9 really. I was using a $100 AquaMedic, but this Aqualifter has served just as well.
 
I logged mine meticulously in Excel, and had a hard time figuring out a daily dosage, so I never moved to this route.

Mag is odd. Also remember that if you increase your salinity, your Mag will increase as well, so its hard to pinpoint down the exact dosage you need on a daily basis.
I did the same thing and just found an average. The standard deviation of the data was low enough that I was pretty confident that I could maintain steady mag levels. Since I did this, I was able to maintain mag levels between 1350 and 1400 consistently. I test biweekly and adjust the timer on the dosing pumps by a few seconds as necessary to keep up with increased demand as the tank matures.
 
I actually found that my levels stayed steady after I got my Mag up high enough. Rarely did I have to dose to maintain the level. And if I did, it was like 30ml once or twice a week.
 
Ha wow, this thread took a twist. On the subject of the Regal. With caution. I hand picked a juvi regal from WS years back for my 90 (it was eating pellets right away). Took it home and a few months down the road it started picking on my SPS.. Picking then turned into destruction. Wiped out a number of large colonies. Killer fish, I do miss him but the destruction was to great.

40795277.jpg


..he ate this efflo which was the last straw for me.

41702551.jpg
 
I bought an extra one just to keep around in case, haha. Can't beat it for $9 really. I was using a $100 AquaMedic, but this Aqualifter has served just as well.

9 bux... Where on earth did u get it for that cost?
 
Okay so now I'm really confused as to which route to take. Can't decide to do 3- part, kalk reactor with the added mag supplement or a 3 part with kalk reactor. Decisions decisions
 
That is a beautiful regal. To bad he started eating your sps. I bet you really miss him, have you
ever considered getting another one?
 
That is a beautiful regal. To bad he started eating your sps. I bet you really miss him, have you
ever considered getting another one?

Yes I have, but the amount of LPS i have in my tank now a days keeps me from going that route. I've actually been leaning more towards the potter angels lately if I were to ever cave, but it's the same boat. Fish are neat but If it wasn't for the corals I wouldn't have a tank.

TravisPottersAngelSM.jpg
 
You can probably get away with the kalk+2 right now if you have mainly frags. Once stuff starts to grow out though, you'll most likely have to start dosing some 2 part and supplementing more mag than the Kalk+2 provides.
 
Yes I have, but the amount of LPS i have in my tank now a days keeps me from going that route. I've actually been leaning more towards the potter angels lately if I were to ever cave, but it's the same boat. Fish are neat but If it wasn't for the corals I wouldn't have a tank.

TravisPottersAngelSM.jpg


Funny you mentioned the potters angel because my lfs has one of those also. :-)
I gotta figure out a better way to dose my tank first and get my sps to colony size acroporas first thought before I add angels though.
 
You can probably get away with the kalk+2 right now if you have mainly frags. Once stuff starts to grow out though, you'll most likely have to start dosing some 2 part and supplementing more mag than the Kalk+2 provides.

Yup, totally agree. You probably don't have the demand for the calcium that a reactor would be able to provide, but if you have the cash, it certainly can't hurt.

You still need the elements to grow those frags out, so don't completely look past it. :)
 
My reactor kept up with my calcium for the most part, but I did dose calcium after doing a water change to bring it back up to where it needed to be. I actually started adding calcium and mag to my NSW on water changes

Was your tank sps dominant, or was it more LPS & softies? My reactor doesn't even come close to maintaing my calcium levels on my 180. Also, what type of salt were you using that you needed to raise the Ca of freshly mixed saltwater?
 
It was SPS dominated, very few of any other corals really.

I was using Reef Crystals, which was giving me about 350-360 calcium on a freshly mixed batch. I kept my calcium at around 420-430, so I raised it to match.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new