Regal Angel Reef Safe?

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have been thinking about adding a Regal angel to my tank. Ik that every angel is a risk when it comes to eating coral but I was wondering who has expierence with regals. Also I'm not sure how big a tank they need.
Current tank 55 gal 4ft
Tank mates
2 clowns
coral beauty angel
royal gramma
white tail bristle tooth
small scopas tang
flame hawk fish
melanarus wrasse
This would be the last fish in my tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest 2 smaller fish like azure damsels or springeri damselfish if your big load allows it. There are also other small-medium fish that are bottom dwellers like mandarin gobies or ones that form relationships like shrimp-goby pair. Just a few options to look at, but you will be limited because you already have 2 tangs and a dwarf angelfish in only a 55gallon tank

OP
OP
B

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest 2 smaller fish like azure damsels or springeri damselfish if your big load allows it. There are also other small-medium fish that are bottom dwellers like mandarin gobies or ones that form relationships like shrimp-goby pair. Just a few options to look at, but you will be limited because you already have 2 tangs and a dwarf angelfish in only a 55gallon tank
yea ig my regal angel will have to wait til my next upgrade I thought I was already pretty full but just needed some more reassurance. Thank you :)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon is 4'x 13" x 20" and i think they meant 24" wide. Would be good for a smaller one for years but they can get pretty large so 6' is probably better

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon is 4'x 13" x 20" and i think they meant 24" wide. Would be good for a smaller one for years but they can get pretty large so 6' is probably better
Regals generally get to 5” then stop growing, these are an excruciatingly slow growing species that can take a years to double in size IME.
Here’s mine, she’s about 3 inches, possibly 3.5 but not much bigger. She’s in my 4’x2’x2’ tank (LxWxH) and love the room she has.
C90C4E08-1125-4D10-9D51-8DA47EFA48DC.jpeg

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with that, they are super slow growers, had one for 7 years that went from around 2 inches to around 3.5 inches in that time, lost her due to a heater failure in winter last year. Also not completely reef safe, she loved nipping zoas especially, but each fish is different.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept several in the last 10 years. I have had 3 and not one has done any damage to heavily stocked reef tanks with every kind of coral.

I think a 55g is too small. I kept mine in a 400g and now a 750. The pair I had in my 400g, the first fish I had for about 4 years and in that time I saw it eat food I put in the tank only a handful of times. It was a shy fish and spent it's time hunting for food in the caves and darkness under the rock work. In the 4 year that fish barely grew .5".

I added a second yellow belly about 1/2 the size of the first and they hung out, I don't know if I would call them a bonded pair, but they definitely were always in the same area. The smaller one was a little more interested in eating the food added to the tank, but was kind of indifferent to it.

Those 2 fish did really well and looked great, but there was no noticeable growth when at about the 9 year make we lost them in a tank issue.

When we setup our new 750g last fall one of the first fish put in was a small Regal -3.5". It loves the food I put in the tank and eats everything. Perhaps that's because the 750 was no where near a mature reef when the regal came to live with us. It still hunts and pecks constantly, but also is right up there with the tangs going after the foods I add.

Dave B

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regals generally get to 5” then stop growing, these are an excruciatingly slow growing species that can take a years to double in size IME.
Here’s mine, she’s about 3 inches, possibly 3.5 but not much bigger. She’s in my 4’x2’x2’ tank (LxWxH) and love the room she has.
C90C4E08-1125-4D10-9D51-8DA47EFA48DC.jpeg
That is not a regal tang

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok what is their recommended tank size?
My regal is in a six foot 125. Would not go any smaller. Im upgrading to a 300 to give her and my other fish more room if that tells you anything

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a regal tang
Yeah obviously, OP was asking about the regal angel. Thats the same fish @i cant think was talking about and showing. Not sure where youre getting a regal rang from as that wasnt even being discussed?

Back