Regal has popeye

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regal appears to have popeye. Is there any in-tank treatment for this or do I have to remove him and treat. My concern is if I stress him he will stop eating.

Can I wait out the pop eye or will just gradually get worse

MasterBacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater

Treatment:
The treatment for Popeye is the same as for almost any other bacterial infection which is the administration of a good saltwater aquarium fish broad spectrum antibiotic such as tetracycline, chloramphenicol or kanamycin which will kill the invading bacteria. The earlier the treatment is administered, the better the odds of a full recovery.

Since the antibiotics used for treatment of this condition can damage the biological filter in a saltwater aquarium, if the other occupants of the show tank do not show signs of Popeye, it is best to remove the affected fish to a Quarantine Tank for treatment.

If the show tank is to be treated, immediately remove any ammonia in the tank with a good ammonia reducer. This will limit the damage being caused and allow the fish to start healing. Once treatment is complete, the addition of a Saltwater Nitrifying Bacteria Tank Starter will help kick start the biological filter.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regal appears to have popeye. Is there any in-tank treatment for this or do I have to remove him and treat. My concern is if I stress him he will stop eating.

Can I wait out the pop eye or will just gradually get worse

I can be healed by his own immune system assuming it's strong enough to do so and the bacteria that has infected him isn't a strong one. You can feed antibiotics to him but it's slow to work and needs to be done daily until he is completely heals (10 days or longer).
Kanaplex is my antibiotic of choice for feeding. You'll want to combine it with Seachem's Focus to bind it to the food. Feed once a day and it's ok if the others eat it. Run carbon just in case a little bit of the med leaches out.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the popeye in one eye or both? Also, is there cloudiness to the eye?

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One eye. And yes It. Is. he won't stay still long enough to photograph him

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3022.JPG IMG_2997.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One eye. And yes It. Is. he won't stay still long enough to photograph him

You could try Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gals) to help ease the swelling. This is a reef safe option. But the cloudy eye might necessitate antibiotics if Epsom salt doesn't do the trick.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would it take to see result with the epsom salt

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would it take to see result with the epsom salt

If you don't start seeing results within 3-4 days move on to antibiotics. Also food soak vitamins (exs. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) ASAP.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex is not reef safe is it ? Anything I can dose that is reef safe after epsom?

I would prefer. Not to risk the angel not eating again

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex is not reef safe is it ? Anything I can dose that is reef safe after epsom?

I would prefer. Not to risk the angel not eating again

You can feed it to him coupled with Focus to bind the med to the food. This is the "reef safe" option, but I would run carbon just in case. This method is slower than doing it in a QT.

OP
OP
E

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So I mixed up the epsom salt. So do I have to turn off uv carbon only Anything else prior to dosing ?

I also have focus coming tomorrow. Which I will mix with kanaplex and food. How much kanaplex should I use for. The food

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have focus coming tomorrow. Which I will mix with kanaplex and food. How much kanaplex should I use for. The food

1:1 ratio. Say you have two cubes of frozen food -thawed- add 1 scoop of each to the food, mix and let sit for 30 minutes before feeding. You can keep this in the fridge for a couple days and keep feeding it, but you will want to make up new after that so the food doesn't spoil.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So I mixed up the epsom salt. So do I have to turn off uv carbon only Anything else prior to dosing ?
No need to turn off anything. Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate, a natural supplement found in seawater. You are just raising the level a bit to see if it will help bring the swelling down.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back