Regular vs Peninsula for my application? (also glass vs acrylic)

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm doing an in wall setup in a new area of my basement. This is my first real reef tank (other than a 20g with HOB components about 20 years ago). Here is a drawing of the setup.
Basement Office.png

My plan is to put the sump under the tank with a steel or t-slot aluminum stand. I have 60" closet doors so that I can slide a sump out the side if I needed to change it. I centered the tank on the wall in the office, which makes it off center in the fish room. Tank will be 72x30x24. It will be fully behind the wall with no front access.

Originally I was going to go with a standard tank with black back and sides and center back overflow. Now, I'm thinking I may go with a peninsula layout. I could put the overflow near the double doors and then the returns on the opposite side of the tank. I could then use that wall space to put in UV sterilizer and such. Peninsula also means no overflow on back side where I will need to access the tank. I was also thinking that dosing pumps and ATO feed into the return area. I could put that equipment on the counter on that end of the tank. For reference, I plan to put the mixing station outside of the fish room where the round tank is on the picture.

Anyway, what do people think? Regular layout or peninsula?

Second question.
I have typical settling cracks in basement slab. On crack unfortunately goes under the tank. Likely one foot would be on one side and the other feet on the other. It measures and level and flat currently. Would you guys feel comfortable with a glass tank if I have a sturdy/rigid stand with adjustable feet? Or should I go with acrylic "just in case". If it weren't for scratches I'd go acrylic. I once had a 75g freshwater acrylic I got second hand. It had many surface scratches and I didn't need to deal with things like coralline. That said, I'd deal with that if people thought there were concerns with cracking/leaking.

So in summary:
1. Regular vs peninsula layout?
2. Glass or acrylic?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: I vote peninsula just to help give you more working room in the tank from the back by keeping the overflow to one side. Given that you will not have any front access, I think you will appreciate not having to deal with the overflow on the main working side of the system.
2: Glass all the way.

OP
OP
S

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: I vote peninsula just to help give you more working room in the tank from the back by keeping the overflow to one side. Given that you will not have any front access, I think you will appreciate not having to deal with the overflow on the main working side of the system.
2: Glass all the way.
Do you think my idea of overflow and returns being on opposite sides a good one? it seems to be easier to plumb that way. Won't need long horizontal runs or a racetrack sump.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think my idea of overflow and returns being on opposite sides a good one? it seems to be easier to plumb that way. Won't need long horizontal runs or a racetrack sump.
I think it is pretty smart actually. It makes a lot of sense for several reasons. It should come out looking really clean if you wind up going that route.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back