Rehome aggressive clownfish?

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When starting this hobby around 2,5 years ago, one of my dreams was to keep a pair of designer clownfish. So I bought a pair of black ice clownfish 2 years ago. The female grew from around 2 inches to 4 inches in a year, and since then she's very aggressive. It started with nipping on my hands, but now it got to pushing corals over and attacking other fish. The clowns host a torch coral and the female is very territorial of it. In the last year I've seen multiple fish with ripped fins and I actually lost 2 fish because of it. I'm not the person to just buy fish and return them to the LFS when I get bored of them, but now it has gotten out of hand...
I've moved her to the sump yesterday and all the fish are already looking way more comfortable.

I'm wondering what to do next:
Do I need to remove the male as well or can he just stay on his own?
Or should I buy a new smaller clownfish to pair up with the male?
Obviously I don't want this to happen again in the future so what would be my best option?

Some background of the tank:
Red Sea Reefer 170 - DT around 40 gallons
I have 4 small fish + 2 clownfish

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At times, some things like that happen.
Your right not to tolerate that.
Doesn’t sound like a time out will help.
Return her, clowns are fine alone.
If you want to pair, make sure the new one is a juvenile, so say max, 3/4”, then we know it’s a male. Works many of the times.
I have been more successful pairing same species, same colour patterns than mixing.
Harassment brings weakness, brings stress, brings disease.
Bring piece back!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try just keeping the male (it will turn into female eventually) but on her own the mating aggression should be much less.

But designer clowns are more aggressive than some of the more peaceful original species. So that might not work long term.

Might be easier to sell/re-home as a pair (might not). Then replace with one of the less aggressive clown species.

Assuming here that since you mentioned keeping the male you don't mind not breeding.

OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses!
I was able to find a home for the pair. Didn't wanna risk keeping the male to have him turn into an aggressive female as well. Keeping them as a pair is also better for my peace of mind haha

force_of_echo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses!
I was able to find a home for the pair. Didn't wanna risk keeping the male to have him turn into an aggressive female as well. Keeping them as a pair is also better for my peace of mind haha
Lolll honestly you’re SO lucky you should have seen my old clownfish from many years ago! It would absolutely bully me and draw blood at any given chance! She would harass and bully everything in that tank! The moment you put a finger in she would go for you, she was destroying all the corals, biting all the rocks she was an absolute LUNATIC literally horrible horrible fish but then I realised was because she was mating with her other clownfish! Once she laid eggs it was a disaster she would swim around the rock and attack any passing fish I did love her and it broke my heart when I rehomed her! But it was just her nature and she was a normal clownie! I then bought 2 platinums and they where good as gold! They would swim together no aggression still laid eggs and nothing was bothering them!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back